Wiki Requests

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Wiki Requests

Post by Robin »

tentus wrote:What about common Love variables? Should we delete the entries on dt etc as well?
I never needed any documentation for dt, but I guess some people could benefit from it, since dt is only implicitly documented elsewhere.

Also, technically it is not a variable, but an argument to love.update.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
XQYZ
Prole

Post by XQYZ »

Robin wrote:
tentus wrote:What about common Love variables? Should we delete the entries on dt etc as well?
I never needed any documentation for dt, but I guess some people could benefit from it, since dt is only implicitly documented elsewhere.

Also, technically it is not a variable, but an argument to love.update.
Well if you payed some attention in physics class "dt" should be no stranger to you, but I think every argument should be documented nevertheless, if only because it's good style.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

You mean 'dt'?
That is the only one I can think of.
And it isn't really special, it could be love.update(ponies) if you wanted. It should be mentioned in the love.update callback. The only other spot 'dt' makes sense is in the love.timer.getDeltaTime function return.

EDIT: oops, didn't see second page when replying.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Personally I think having an entries on self.body, self.shape, and other very common physics variables would be handy, but I've held off on documenting them because of the apparent distaste for this kind of entry. Yes, I know it could be ponies, but has no one else noticed how new people come to the forums and we act like they should already know what dt is? It's standard terminology for us, so we do a crappy job of explaining it every time it comes up.

What about making tutorials that go over dt etc, rather than normal entries? That way new people can find something informative on the wiki without having to feel dumb for asking on the forums, but it doesn't clutter or derail the wiki, which seems to be the big concern.

@Robin: So few have the privilege of Omniscience though! :awesome: Won't you think of the little people?
Kurosuke needs beta testers
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

tentus wrote:...self.body, self.shape...
What is "self" on that context?
When I write def I mean function.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

kikito wrote:
Yeah, I'm wondering that too.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

And it's not like Shape and Body aren't documented.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
XQYZ
Prole

Post by XQYZ »

tentus wrote:Personally I think having an entries on self.body, self.shape, and other very common physics variables would be handy, but I've held off on documenting them because of the apparent distaste for this kind of entry. Yes, I know it could be ponies, but has no one else noticed how new people come to the forums and we act like they should already know what dt is? It's standard terminology for us, so we do a crappy job of explaining it every time it comes up.
Some people are playing dump thought. I mean, I am basically a new person to Löve (haven't known about it until two or three days ago, never worked with Lua before) and I got it. Go to the wiki, go to 'Tutorials', click 'Callback Functions'. Done deal.
This function is called continuously and will probably be where most of your math is done. 'dt' stands for "delta time" and is the amount of seconds since the last time this function was called (which is usually a small value like 0.025714).
That ought to be enough for most people and there's even an example there to further illustrate it.

The only thing I could wish for is giving the tutorials a bit more structure (wikibooks like) with chapters and stuff like that (and maybe move that Guide to Love2D to the wiki so it's backed up in case the original blog goes down). If you have that and the API reference there is now, then I think the wiki serves it's purpose. It's then just up to the forum users to ensure to link to the information on the wiki and to insist on people reading it instead of asking questions that have already been answered in the wiki for the hundreds time.

However, I really don't think the wiki should go 'too basic'. If you basally explain what a variable is and how functions work, it becomes tiresome for any intermediate programmers who just want to pick up a new framework, so I would certainly agree on keeping Lua basics out of it.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

XQYZ wrote:The only thing I could wish for is giving the tutorials a bit more structure (wikibooks like) with chapters and stuff like that
Totally agree with you here. The tutorials page has no structure. You look at the page of tutorials and they have no indication of expected knowledge or anything really, it is just a list. Sectioning them somehow would be very nice.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

TechnoCat wrote:
kikito wrote:
Yeah, I'm wondering that too.
The SECS version of self. In retrospect documenting how physics works with a specific library is a lot dumber than I at first thought.

Anyways, alright, I get it, I can take the hint. No more wiki for me, I'll keep quiet, I am clearly causing more problems than I am fixing. :P
Kurosuke needs beta testers