Kyvedy Guardiah, my action jrpg, released on Steam ^^

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
denisjohan
Prole

Kyvedy Guardiah, my action jrpg, released on Steam ^^

Post by denisjohan »

It was quite a run to get there but finally the game is ready and on steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/3085 ... _Guardiah/

100% made with LÖVE ! ^^
GVovkiv
Party member

Re: Kyvedy Guardiah, my action jrpg, released on Steam ^^

Post by GVovkiv »

Using Fedora Silverblue, Steam from flathub, demo linux version doesn't start, just immediately close.
Probably appimage was packaged badly or something
denisjohan
Prole

Post by denisjohan »

GVovkiv wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:35 pm Using Fedora Silverblue, Steam from flathub, demo linux version doesn't start, just immediately close.
Oooh thanks for letting me know.
I just deleted and redownload the demo from steam, to see if the last update had something wrong but the appimage works perfectly. I am on linux mint 21. Could you try to force steam to redownload ? Also I am using the flathub steam version too.
denisjohan
Prole

Post by denisjohan »

GVovkiv wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:35 pm Using Fedora Silverblue, Steam from flathub, demo linux version doesn't start, just immediately close.
Lol found the culprit, and super thanks for posting! The steam demo had a test flag turned on... damn! xD I will update the right one asap!
Thanks again :D
denisjohan
Prole

Post by denisjohan »

Ok the linux demo now is working again ^^

Thanks GVovkik
denisjohan
Prole

Post by denisjohan »

So I add an update about the error found by GVovkiv as there was another issue going on and it might affect and interest more devs here.:

Basically he is on linux, using the "Steam flathub" version and I am shipping the game as appimage, after testing and digging I discovered this :

"To run an AppImage, a SUID-root binary fusermount is required; the Flatpak sandbox doesn't allow this."

So basically if you ship your game as appimage, it will nerver run in the steam-flatpack version.

In the normal steam version, it works flawlessly.

Nothing can be done.
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

This might be why Blue Revolver ships extracted with a bash script to run it. It's fairly simple, it just runs the packaged version of love with LD_PATH set to the directory containing the shared libs.
denisjohan
Prole

Post by denisjohan »

marclurr wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 6:05 am This might be why Blue Revolver ships extracted with a bash script to run it. It's fairly simple, it just runs the packaged version of love with LD_PATH set to the directory containing the shared libs.
Probably, I mean this is the classic "flathub" mess and is up to the poor us to exit its labyrinth.. Appimages are so confy..

Anyway, I was looking into steam linux runtime that might ship the needed libraries. Could be worth understanding that too.. but.. at that point it will become a "steam only" distribution...

About the script, marclurr, when I saw your post It came to my mind that , from love 11.5 in the appimage, the AppRun is actually a bash script ! In 11.4 it was binary. So now that script might just be perfect for the job ^^ May be is the one Blue Revolver uses too with some adjustment.

I just tried and it worked. Now I'll test some more and if everything is fine I'll use that. It might be good to add this as a distribution method in the main page..

Thanks for the lead ^^
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

Happy to hear it pointed you in the right direction. I remembered thinking it was an elegant solution to the Linux mess when I first saw it so I kept it in mind for in case I ever needed to do it.