Falling Sand Game-esque Project

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Snhr
Prole

Falling Sand Game-esque Project

Post by Snhr »

particlegamething.jpg
particlegamething.jpg (35.1 KiB) Viewed 4196 times
I used to like messing around with the falling sand games and I've always been interested in what you could do with games like that, I'm not that great at programming but I've been working on this for a week or so now and decided to share it in case anyone is interested or whatever.
FSGclonegamething.love
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
-
Pretty basic, not many features and a few weird things to fix yet but yeah.. the different types of materials settle in different ways, hoping to add maybe some combinations or fix the sorta-bug where water will 'freeze' if there is anything on top of it.
Keys -
1 - Soil
2 - Rock
3 - Water
4 - Sand

Update (5/14/12) - Now things sink in water, can go left and right with arrow keys, change amount that you drop with scroll button
fallingsnow.love
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
-
This is just snow, it's the same thing without having multiple types of materials and looks a lot smoother too, hopefully will be able to come up with a way to make the other one look as good as this one without it looking awkward when transitioning between different material types.

If anyone has any cool ideas I'd love to hear them, maybe put them into it. :)
Last edited by Snhr on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
juno
Citizen

Re: Falling Sand Game-esque Project

Post by juno »

This is really good. For a minute I thought they were all the same consistency but then the water came and whoa! it flows! nice work.. Snow looks good too
wat ya mean she's in another castle!?
Snhr
Prole

Post by Snhr »

juno wrote:This is really good. For a minute I thought they were all the same consistency but then the water came and whoa! it flows! nice work.. Snow looks good too
Thanks. :)

Yeah, I set it so each material has a different threshold to be begin falling. Water stacks evenly, sand is next, soil, and then rock has the highest. I'm working on making this into a more natural feeling thing. Think Terraria but less blocky and From Dust but 2d mixed with the Falling Sand Game.

http://fallingsandgame.com/sand/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y8l8kEI354 - From Dust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGo7iMUcxLc - Terraria

I don't know if I'll ever reach a point where I'll be satisfied with how it looks. I'm learning how to do things as I go so it's more of a just see what I can do with some ideas I have type of project, hopefully it'll turn into a full game some day though.

I've always liked the idea of a game where it has set rules on how things interact and the player is given the tools to create a world and any number of possibilities can come out of it without the player or developer even realizing that something could happen until it does. Slowly shaping something until it's efficient and (maybe) good looking while setting some sort of value on every action so it adds some sort of challenge that the player has to overcome. While maintaining an ending that nobody has no idea what it looks like. Or maybe no ending, I don't know. I haven't thought about it enough yet.
juno
Citizen

Post by juno »

Snhr wrote:I've always liked the idea of a game where it has set rules on how things interact and the player is given the tools to create a world and any number of possibilities can come out of it without the player or developer even realizing that something could happen until it does. Slowly shaping something until it's efficient and (maybe) good looking while setting some sort of value on every action so it adds some sort of challenge that the player has to overcome. While maintaining an ending that nobody has no idea what it looks like. Or maybe no ending, I don't know. I haven't thought about it enough yet.
I bet you're a huge Minecraft fan...I agree though, I prefer game scenarios where the player is 'in control' of the situation..as opposed to games where you are steered towards the correct path.
wat ya mean she's in another castle!?
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

Pretty neat clone. Haven't played that sand games in ages. Good work!
Snhr
Prole

Post by Snhr »

juno wrote: I bet you're a huge Minecraft fan...I agree though, I prefer game scenarios where the player is 'in control' of the situation..as opposed to games where you are steered towards the correct path.
Yeah, I've played Minecraft quite a bit. The more I played it though the more I wished they added more things because after a while just messing around got boring. Survival mode felt like a chore and creative mode felt like whatever I built wasn't really worth anything because I didn't have to go through the process of finding the blocks.
dreadkillz wrote:Pretty neat clone. Haven't played that sand games in ages. Good work!
Thanks. :)

Oh. I'm hoping to get a version where it reads in different materials from a text file so you can add your own with values like density, color, how it falls, add a menu to select materials, maybe some other things.