Installing LOVE

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Kronoze
Prole

Installing LOVE

Post by Kronoze »

I am attempting to install LOVE and when I try the 64-bit it rejects it and won't download it. I also tried the Installer 32-bit version and it just shows up a pink piglet with hearts circiling around it when I run LOVE. Does anyone have any advice?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Installing LOVE

Post by Jasoco »

The 32-bit version is working correctly. The pink pig is the animation that plays when you haven't loaded a project. You need to load a project.
Kronoze
Prole

Post by Kronoze »

Ok, could you point me in the right direction on the topic of loading a project? I am brand new with LOVE, but definitely not with Lua. Is there any differences with the 32 bit rather than the 64 bit?
TheP3
Citizen

Post by TheP3 »

Ok, first, you need to make a folder... Like "Game"... Inside "Game" you need to make a file "main.lua"

In main.lua you need to setup like so.

Code: Select all

function love.load()
-- this function only gets called once. So, load variables and images in here.

end

function love.update(dt) --dt is like a computer refresh rate
-- this function is looped until the program is shutdown. You put updated data here. Like when a key is down move player

end

function love.draw()
-- This is what gets drawn to the screen. Also, loops until the program is shutdown

love.graphics.print("String", 100, 100) --prints a string on screen at x = 100 and y = 100

end
Once that code is in the main.lua file drag and drop the "Game" file to the love.exe... That program with the pig in it. Now you should see text!

Also, the wiki https://love2d.org/wiki/Main_Page helps! Look under documentation on the left.
I write rules for my computer... I'm not the ruler of the world(yet)... Also, I livestream stuff http://NateAGeek.com/Live
Kronoze
Prole

Post by Kronoze »

Okay, thanks a lot for the help. It is very cleared up for me now. Thank you.