Port to android

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
wmaster
Prole

Port to android

Post by wmaster »

Hey, i want to port really interesting game -mari0 to Android. I download apk and copy .love to sd/love/ but its not working.
I really want to port this game, how i can do that?
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Port to android

Post by T-Bone »

First of all, this post should probably be in the Love-Android subforum. Second of all, love-android is far from finished. The apk that you can get right now uses luaj, which is quite inefficient. A native version is on their way, which will have much better performance.

There are, however, many more problems with what you're trying to do. I personally believe love-android should primarily be used to make Android games, not port existing LÖVE games to Android. The reason is simple, gaming concepts that work on a computer might not work on a cell phone. The most obvious problem is controls; Mari0 expects input from a keyboard or a gamepad. On Android, you'd have to reprogram the game to accept touch input via on-screen touch buttons or something. Unless you're playing on Xperia Play or have an Android gamepad, but I doubt love-android has support for that.

Another issue is that Mari0 needs LÖVE 0.8 to run. Love-android is based on 0.7.2. So it might never work.