The size of the game fused

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
khofez
Prole

The size of the game fused

Post by khofez »

I was wondering this but i never asked, packing the .zip file with the .exe file on Window increase the exe file size? I mean, i was wondering this because i read that when you do like dynamic libraries to load in an executable file, it descreases the exe file size and the load time (idk if its true), so instead of linking a lot of static libraries on the executable, you export them as dynamic and then makes the executable open more faster. So, packing the zip file with it, will not make the executable more slower? or i'm just wasting my time thinking about this?
raidho36
Party member

Re: The size of the game fused

Post by raidho36 »

DLL hell exists on Windows, so better just statically link everything you could, and if you couldn't link it statically, you carry your own .dll file with the program.

Now, not the whole file is loaded into memory, only the segments that were compiled to be loaded. The rest of the file may contain anything and it's never will be loaded unless the program will read its own file past the assembly program data section and load it, it practically no different from using folder for this except it's compressed and the whole thing is a single file.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

khofez wrote:So, packing the zip file with it, will not make the executable more slower? or i'm just wasting my time thinking about this?
When you fuse the zip to the executable, the zip and executable portions of the file behave essentially completely independently. It won't affect performance or file size.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I'd also want to point out that for löve, you combine the contents of your project folder with love.exe to make it fused.
That covers assets like music and image files, and lua source code, usually nothing else.

Any dll-s löve.exe itself uses is still besides it, and not in any zip you combined with the executable.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
khofez
Prole

Post by khofez »

thanks you guys !