dir - A match-N puzzle game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Beluki
Prole

dir - A match-N puzzle game

Post by Beluki »

Hi there!

I finally finished "dir", a small, minimalistic puzzle game written using Love2D 0.9.2. Hope you like it. Working with Love has been a great experience so far.

Here are two screenshots:

Features
  • Original mechanics that still feel familiar to match-3 game players.
  • Each game usually lasts between 5 and 15 minutes.
  • Easy to play, hard to master gameplay, with finely tuned scoring and ranking systems.
  • All the graphics are vector-based and the game is resolution-independent.
  • Three color themes.
  • Free and open source.
Downloads How to play

The game is completely mouse-driven.
  • Use the mouse to move a tile in any of the four cardinal directions. The mouse buttons move left or right while the mousewheel moves up or down.
  • When the tile stops, any adyacent tile of the same color will count as a match. All the matching tiles will grow, the combo score increase and you can move again.
  • The first move that doesn't match any tiles will cause all the previously matched tiles to disappear, grant the current combo score and add new tiles to the grid in random positions.
You lose when the grid is completely filled with tiles. The goal is to make a score as high as possible and, eventually, to reach the grandmaster rank.

Keyboard shortcuts
  • ESC - Close the game.
  • R - Testart.
  • F - Toggle between full screen and windowed.
  • 1, 2, 3 - Change the color theme to the first, second and third one.
  • T - Cycle to the next color theme.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: dir - A match-N puzzle game

Post by bartbes »

Are certain moves prohibited? I can't find any reason why I can move some blocks, and I can't move others.
Beluki
Prole

Post by Beluki »

> Are certain moves prohibited? I can't find any reason why I can move some blocks, and I can't move others.

You can move small blocks in any direction (up/down/left/right), but not the blocks that already matched (the big ones).

You can't move if there is an adyacent block in the same direction. (e.g. you can't move right if there is no free space to the right of the tile).
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Beluki wrote: You can't move if there is an adyacent block in the same direction. (e.g. you can't move right if there is no free space to the right of the tile).
I was going to disagree, but knowing this it actually worked. Really enjoyed it, and I can tell I'm already getting better at it, my fourth try I got to about 120k.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Lövely! It was very confusing at first because I though it'd be something like NO http://youtu.be/0zT-mTJ83TM :)

https://youtu.be/0zT-mTJ83TM

PS: everything good is better with sounds :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Beluki
Prole

Post by Beluki »

I can tell I'm already getting better at it, my fourth try I got to about 120k
New strategies usually come up while you play, e.g. try to milk the first two levels for points, since large combos are easier there (note that clearing the entire board continues the combo after adding new tiles) or thinking carefully where to put the last tile in a combo (the one that doesn't match) to fight randomness (the place where the next tiles will come up).

120k is a pretty good score at first.
Lövely! It was very confusing at first
Nice video. Are you playing with a touchpad? I notice you only move the tiles to the left. Note that right click moves right and the mousewheel moves up or down.
s-ol
Party member

Post by s-ol »

Nicely done! I died at roughly 70k the first time. I like the colors and tweens, you should get this into the play store with touch controls!

s-ol.nu /blog  -  p.s-ol.be /st8.lua  -  g.s-ol.be /gtglg /curcur

Code: Select all

print( type(love) )
if false then
  baby:hurt(me)
end
airstruck
Party member

Post by airstruck »

Really nicely done, I keep coming back for more. Still trying to break 300k, is 625k your best score?

S0lll0s wrote:you should get this into the play store with touch controls!
Yeah, the mouse controls sound more awkward than they really are, but swiping would be perfect for this.
MicroMacro
Citizen

Post by MicroMacro »

Took a minute to get the controls, but this is seriously a nice game. Reminds me of tetris in a way.
I love ( and I mean Love with the two dots on the O. xD) the art style. So simple, yet so clean.

You did a fantastic job with this. Well done!
https://github.com/ebernerd- where you can find all my work.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I tried to implement swipe controls in the game. I included no license at all but if you wish you may use it as if it was your code. I don't really care much about the few lines I wrote.
Attachments
dir.love
(203.06 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics