Hyrule Arena

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Kingdaro
Party member

Hyrule Arena

Post by Kingdaro »

Here's a game Tesselode and I put together for 1GAM and the Female Link Jam, which ended up as sort of an infinite Zelda-styled arena fighter.

Keyboard Controls:
Arrow Keys - Move
X - Attack

Joystick Controls:
DPad / Control Stick - Move
Face Buttons - Attack

Game Jolt page
GitHub repository

.love download (too large for attachment)

As a bonus, here's a track that was going to be the theme for the game, but not because it was so horribly unfitting. :awesome:
Last edited by Kingdaro on Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
skyHights
Citizen

Re: Hyrule Arena

Post by skyHights »

Very good, a nice little game
It did, however take me a while to figure out that the attack key is X
and the screen seemed to randomly flash red sometimes, not quite sure what that was about

but other than that it is very good, I like the scoring system with the multiplication, and the enemies all moved very fluidly
Learning to Löve.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

skyHights wrote:Very good, a nice little game
It did, however take me a while to figure out that the attack key is X
and the screen seemed to randomly flash red sometimes, not quite sure what that was about

but other than that it is very good, I like the scoring system with the multiplication, and the enemies all moved very fluidly
Thanks! I also went ahead and put the controls in the OP. The random red flashing is curious, though. Not sure what would cause that.
skyHights
Citizen

Post by skyHights »

Kingdaro wrote:The random red flashing is curious, though. Not sure what would cause that.
I think the flashing is when I hit an enemy (I'm not the best at hitting them :death: ), the constant red flashing is very hard on the eyes though.
Learning to Löve.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

I'm guessing there's something wrong with the shader on your computer, because that's how we made that effect.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Nice game! I have always loved the combat system in 2d zelda games so I really enjoyed this one, Hi-score: 27370 x 13,7.
I belive that if you add a little more content and some replay value other than the score, you will get a really fun and awesome game that I would totally play it a lot.
zacscott
Prole

Post by zacscott »

Nice fun game, gets pretty hard fast though :-). Nice smooth controls.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Nice! It feels like the attack area is off though (seems to be displaced to the bottom left?) But I changed resolution to 1280x720, so perhaps that screwed with some hardcoded values. :)

lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

qubodup wrote:Nice! It feels like the attack area is off though (seems to be displaced to the bottom left?) But I changed resolution to 1280x720, so perhaps that screwed with some hardcoded values. :)
Try the update I just pushed to GameJolt! I'm pretty sure it's our coding that made the hitboxes weird, not the resolution. :P