[LD31] Dungeons and Margins VII: Financial Fantasy

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
aqua_scummm
Prole

[LD31] Dungeons and Margins VII: Financial Fantasy

Post by aqua_scummm »

This is my first game in Love2D. I had played around with it before, and made some proof of concepts / tests, but this was the first time I sat down and tried to write something specifically focused on the player completing a task.

My good friend Andy assisted by creating all art, helped supply and refine ideas, and overall game design input.

I'm fairly new to game dev, and thus didn't finish the game, in fact we're not anywhere close to all the ideas we had.

I really appreciate how quick it is to get up and running with Love, but in full disclosure, I think I'll be porting this to Moai, because I think the concept of the game and gameplay would lend well to mobile-based casual gamers, so targeting iOS and Android equally is a major bonus.

Thanks to the community for Love. It's my favorite tool for rapidly developing ideas, and I really look forward to what the future holds. Should Love ever get strong iOS and Android support natively, it will likely become my go-to development environment for all game related things.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-3 ... &uid=14797
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: [LD31] Dungeons and Margins VII: Financial Fantasy

Post by Germanunkol »

Hi and welcome to the community!

I can't run the current .love version of your game. I think you might have forgotten to add a file. Stack backtrace:

Code: Select all

Error: main.lua:5: module 'src/ButtonManager' not found:
	no field package.preload['src/ButtonManager']
	no file 'src/ButtonManager.lua' in LOVE game directories.
	no file 'src/ButtonManager/init.lua' in LOVE game directories.
	no file 'src/ButtonManager.so' in LOVE paths.
	no file './src/ButtonManager.lua'
	no file '/usr/share/luajit-2.0.2/src/ButtonManager.lua'
	no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager.lua'
	no file '/usr/local/share/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager/init.lua'
	no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager.lua'
	no file '/usr/share/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager/init.lua'
	no file './src/ButtonManager.so'
	no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager.so'
	no file '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager.so'
	no file '/usr/lib/lua/5.1/src/ButtonManager.so'
	no file '/usr/local/lib/lua/5.1/loadall.so'
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'require'
	main.lua:5: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	[string "boot.lua"]:360: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:241>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
aqua_scummm
Prole

Post by aqua_scummm »

Uh-oh. Hopefully that's not in the binary builds too. That main.lua is from the version we scrapped Saturday night. I'll rebuild everything with that file properly removed when I get home from work.

Thanks for the heads up.
aqua_scummm
Prole

Post by aqua_scummm »

New build uploaded :)
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Thanks, I tried it!

It's a neat idea and works. There are a few things I'm missing:
- Overview of objects I own
- List of entries (see my comment on the LD page)
- Changing screens when a new customer shows up (Maybe slide the hero to the left and make a new hero enter from the right?) would really help in understanding what's going on. Multiple character avatars would be awesome - I guess you would have done this if you had more time.

One issue I noticed:
When you're selling items, then pressing up once and down once changes the price on an item, even though it's the same guy trying to buy the item. Scrolling through the list of items should probably not change the prices.

And something else: I know there are people who can do great stuff with MS Paint. But I really advice you (or your teammate) to learn a program that can do more - paint is very limited. For example, the GIMP is really worth learning, it comes with way more features (like color filters, masking, blurring, just to name a very few). Inkscape would have been a good choice for the kind of graphics you used (rich colours with outlines) as well - it's relatively simple to make good looking graphics in inkscape, with the upside that they're also scalable without any loss (great set of vector graphic tutorials here).
Also a nice program (if you have access to a graphics tablet) is "MyPaint", which is free as well.

Congrats on finishing the game - especially since it was your first Löve project. As I mentioned on the LD site, I really like the idea behind it and if you develop this into a full game, it'll probably be a very cool one!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
aqua_scummm
Prole

Post by aqua_scummm »

Thanks for all the input, most of it was on the "To Do" list. As for paint - yeah, I use Gimp and Inkscape personally, but my artist was pretty green, so I kept it in quickstart mode, since we had already burned a couple hours covering how to use Git and some other gamedev core concepts.

I know there needs more balance and a better interface, but you know how it goes, hard deadline in Ludum Dare. This is actually our second project over the weekend, we started this around 1am Sunday, so this is two-man compo style submission.

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback, and keep an eye out, you might see this revised on an app store near you.