[sharing is caring] music to program to

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
smoking bunny
Citizen

[sharing is caring] music to program to

Post by smoking bunny »

hello all,

weve all been at that point, of 'what music should i listen to' when programming. sometimes, we cant think because of certain music that is on. i find this personally to be music with lyrics in, that can get distracting. plus anything that has break in, or just a general album with tracks and breaks between. that can sometimes disturb myself.

im more of a 'set' man myself when it comes down to doing programming. a varied sort as well. it can be hard as föök tech sets, or the aura of ambient. but they all have a thing in common and that is that they keep going without breaks. sure they stop at the end. but for at least 1 hour you are not disturbed and have something to listen to.

so, here is a short list, which i will add to when i find more each time. also if anyone else wants to add, then by all means. but these are supposed to be live sets etc, rather than albums. UNLESS, they are continuous. ill allow them ;)
some of these are from my own collection of podcasts, some online at soundcloud or wherever. plus they are all downloadable

music for programming... pretty much does what it says on the tin. not hard techno, but gentle and sometimes rhythmic sets
ambient music blog podcast... though this is not going anymore. the 5 sets available are really good
detroit underground podcast... some more 'harder' based music. along the lines of techno. especially love 'annie hall's' sets. i actually have an album ready to come out on this label too
electric deluxe podcast... varied mix of tech, rock and all sorts. personal favourites are the 'jerry abstract', 'mr projectile' and 'annie hall'. but a great all round podcast channel
blank code podcast... another 'harder' based music sets. really good for the person who needs faster beats and techy noise.
deep focus... great website that hosts loads of sets. main focus seems to be drum & bass. but has a varied selection as well. including ambient. personal favourites are 'lyceum', 'hybris', 'auxcast: phase 2 episode 3' & 'consequence'. there is plenty to enjoy
vladislav delay - live... one of my favourite artists. love his productions. check out the album 'multila' too. this set is really nice. there are more sets on his soundcloud, but you cant download them
johann johannson - live... a brilliant piece of work that was composed in front of a film playing. one of my favourites.
smoking bunny - live in manchester... and lastly a shameless plug for my own 2+ hour original tech set. this is all my own original material that ive played at quite a few festivals last year. i always change the set as well each time, doing different things. this recording is probably one of the best i have played.

so there you go. something for people to chew on for a while, and if you want to, add to this list

enjoy and have phün
lewis lepton
------
composer | sound designer | tinkerer
smoking bunny | bandcamp | twitter | gitHub | vimeo
smoking bunny
Citizen

Re: [sharing is caring] music to program to

Post by smoking bunny »

i have also just copied this over to my blog. so it will make it easier for others to reply without having to be a registered LÖVE person ;)

http://smokingbunny.net/blog/music-to-program-to/

have phün
lewis lepton
------
smoking bunny
Citizen

Post by smoking bunny »

another entry

minimal show by john smthg... minimal tech music. good sets, well worth the listen. has a good vibe to make you concentrate
lewis lepton
------
smoking bunny
Citizen

Post by smoking bunny »

another entry. other chiptune mixes

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf69z7 ... bNKdFn4ELg … always a nice thing to bust out some chiptune mixes. you could download these pretty easy if using youtube download software. downie is one such application for the mac. i recommend that for downloading internet videos/audio
lewis lepton
------
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Actually, I tried many times, but i am not an effective coder when I am listen to music. Or listen to anything else. I always end up writing crap.
Besides this, there a soundtrack that I find great, and it can do. Uplink's soundtrack.

PS/ You can always use the Edit button to add some information to your last post. Making tons of post in a row is not very much appreciated. Thou shalt not.
CaptainMaelstrom
Party member

Post by CaptainMaelstrom »

I have a friend in art school who just came out with an album (his second). It's very good thinking/working music:

https://samwinters.bandcamp.com/album/visions

I also second musicforprogramming.net.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

baconhawka7x
Party member

Post by baconhawka7x »

I like listening to chill stuff, otherwise it drags my attention away and I can't focus on the programming.

The only artist I solely listen to is ANDRU: https://soundcloud.com/andruofficial
other than that it's mostly just individual tracks that I find.

Oh and this album is great as well: https://soundcloud.com/monstercat/sets/ ... prelude-ep
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

When I wrote Hat Cat, I almost exclusively listened to the Katamari Damacy soundtrack. That explains a lot about the game, doesn't it?
smoking bunny
Citizen

Post by smoking bunny »

katamari games have that music that perplexes, but also draws you in like a blackhole. brilliant
lewis lepton
------