Overflow - my first love2d game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
versial
Prole

Overflow - my first love2d game

Post by versial »

Hi guys, this is my first post and my first love2d game.

http://www.versial.com/works/overflow

Overflow is kind of like tetris meets bejeweled. Let me know what you think?
BozoDel
Party member

Re: Overflow - my first love2d game

Post by BozoDel »

Interesting.

Some "towers" can get pretty impossible, though. If there's a big tower, then you're gonna focus your attention on it, but then you'll end up using jewels beside the tower that you should leave alone in order to maybe have a chance of taking it down... it's tough.

Would it be way too easy if there were just 3 colors?

What about this: hitting a combo could make some of the jewels roll down.

I thought you'd wanna know: it runs well on WINE.
Katamori
Prole

Post by Katamori »

BozoDel is right: you may add a lot more features, but IMO in itself, it's pretty cool and enjoyable aready! With some fancy (=less purist) effects and some additional features (such as being able to put gems into places where there's nothing so they can fall down), it may be a Steam Greenlight subject.
not active here anymore
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

no .love for the linux users D:
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

You can use the .exe as a .love file (opening it with LOVE should run the game)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
versial
Prole

Post by versial »

Hey thanks for the feedback everyone!
BozoDel wrote:
Some "towers" can get pretty impossible, though. If there's a big tower, then you're gonna focus your attention on it, but then you'll end up using jewels beside the tower that you should leave alone in order to maybe have a chance of taking it down... it's tough.

I thought you'd wanna know: it runs well on WINE.
Yea I know what you mean. So far my strategy has been to make horizontal matches most of the time so that columns remain pretty even, and vertical matches only when a tower gets too high. My highscore now is around 7000+ right now, I'm just curious how's everyone doing?

By the way, would there be any interest in a simple match-3 game tutorial? I've never done anything like this before, and I'm pretty much self-taught in everything. I'm not sure if it's gonna turn out to be any good.

Thanks again everyone!
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

You know what everybody likes ? Screenshots

EDIT: Here's the love for linux users
Attachments
overflow.love
(2.84 MiB) Downloaded 636 times
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

versial wrote:I'm just curious how's everyone doing?
Hm, not really going for the high score here. I think that an arcade game for desktop has to be "much moar awesome bro!" than this to get people engaged. But if it were a mobile game, that's a different story...
versial wrote:By the way, would there be any interest in a simple match-3 game tutorial? I've never done anything like this before, and I'm pretty much self-taught in everything. I'm not sure if it's gonna turn out to be any good.
Not sure if I got what you mean. Making a tutorial for this particular game? I think it might be overkill, it's such a simple game...

But about not being sure if it's gonna be good... I can see you're making several experiments, and that's the most important, I think, testing mechanics, and tweaking them. Many awesome devs have big portfolios of small weird games. "Good" eventually emerges from doing it.

EDIT:
Ranguna259 wrote:You know what everybody likes ? Screenshots
Yeah, that's a lesson 4 life.
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

versial wrote:Overflow is kind of like tetris meets bejeweled. Let me know what you think?
Technically it look really cool. Very playable, clear and I didn't find any bugs. Good work.

In my opinion the design has a big flaw: I very often got into the situation that I had columns of diamonds that got very tall. Inside these columns one can only swap diamonds vertically, so the amount of options is limited. And then it is often impossible to make these columns smaller (even if you are a quick and smart player). I think you should try to come up with a solution to this effect. Otherwise the player will often find himself in a situation where he cannot do anything against loosing.
My solution to this problem (you might not like it. Feel free to disagree) is to allow swapping a diamond with an empty space. This will, of course, have the result that all columns have approximately the same height. So maybe you can give a penalty for each of these moves.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

This is really nice, well done!

The .love works great. I really like the title screen as well - it's very simple and nice.
Good game. It's weird though that you can't switch tiles unless it destroys them... took me some time to figure that out. I think the player should be able to switch all tiles - to make larger patches dissapear, for example.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de