Forum structure - could it be improved?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Clavus
Prole

Forum structure - could it be improved?

Post by Clavus »

Hi, I'm a big-time lurker of this forum, only visiting occasionally when I expect to start a project soon (which never really happens) and one of the things that bothers me is that this forum structure is quite unorganized. When it try to find things like useful libraries in the Projects & Demos forum, I have to wade through a lot of topics about actual game releases and such. I know that keeping the amount of forums to a minimum looks quite nice and simple (like LÖVE itself) but it doesn't help navigation for occasional visitors.

My idea would be to split Projects & Demos to something like Work in Progress - Releases - Libraries & Snippets. And when looking around the other forums, I think General could be split to General Discussion and LÖVE Discussion. I expect this would make finding topics easier for newcomers. When people open a forum with a general idea of what they're looking for, they shouldn't have to sort the topics themselves.

I'm just throwing it out there. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this :)
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Forum structure - could it be improved?

Post by nevon »

I think being able to tag threads and filter by tags would be helpful. That way you could just tag your thread as "library" if it's about a library.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

nevon wrote:I think being able to tag threads and filter by tags would be helpful. That way you could just tag your thread as "library" if it's about a library.
+1 for tags or better search. But at the same time, if time spent by people changing the forums means less time spent developing love, then the forums are A-OK as-is.

Edit:
I dont think splitting projects and demo's is worth it, because there is the wiki to post finished libraries.
Clavus
Prole

Post by Clavus »

kraftman wrote:
nevon wrote:I think being able to tag threads and filter by tags would be helpful. That way you could just tag your thread as "library" if it's about a library.
+1 for tags or better search. But at the same time, if time spent by people changing the forums means less time spent developing love, then the forums are A-OK as-is.

Edit:
I dont think splitting projects and demo's is worth it, because there is the wiki to post finished libraries.
Restructuring the forum a bit shouldn't take that long. In the end the forum itself also has to promote LÖVE to newcomers, so I don't think improving it would be a waste of time. Tag search makes you dependent on people using the correct tags (far easier to just post in the right subforum).

The wiki gives a nice overview of the finished libraries, but I think it would really improve navigation if they had their separate section on the forum.
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Clavus wrote: Restructuring the forum a bit shouldn't take that long.
True. However, it will take a lot of time to move all the old threads to the new sub-forums.

Either way, I think splitting the forums up into a myriad of sub-forums is a bad idea. Unless rude disagrees, this won't happen.
Clavus
Prole

Post by Clavus »

thelinx wrote:
Clavus wrote: Restructuring the forum a bit shouldn't take that long.
True. However, it will take a lot of time to move all the old threads to the new sub-forums.

Either way, I think splitting the forums up into a myriad of sub-forums is a bad idea. Unless rude disagrees, this won't happen.
Well there is a difference between a myriad of sub-forums and having stuff a bit more organized. Right now I feel like all the topics are thrown on 3 big heaps and users are forced to spend some time finding their way around. It might not be as troublesome for users that have been around longer, but as an occasional visitor, I'd like to point it out.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

I think splitting them up (or maybe making a subforum for libraries under projects/demos) would be a good idea, but yeah, it'd be a lot of work. In the meantime, there's always Category:Libraries.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

but then you just end up with a load of dead sub forums no one ever uses. the less forums there are, the more people will potentially read them. As it is, there are three active subforums and even they overlap a lot, there are often support questions in general, projects in general, etc.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I would like to suggest that we make a new forum for each love release (i.e. 0.7.1, 0.7.2, 0.8.0). This way, we can rename the current release forum to "love 0.7.2 and below", and then make a new one (love 0.8.0). That way when people go digging through the old releases, they know what version to run it with.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

josefnpat wrote:I would like to suggest that we make a new forum for each love release (i.e. 0.7.1, 0.7.2, 0.8.0). This way, we can rename the current release forum to "love 0.7.2 and below", and then make a new one (love 0.8.0). That way when people go digging through the old releases, they know what version to run it with.
Or people can just say which version of LÖVE a certain game needs (as is done by a lot of people already). That way you don't have to create new threads if you upgrade your game to the next version of LÖVE.
Help us help you: attach a .love.