Newton's Cradle sim problem.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
moci
Prole

Newton's Cradle sim problem.

Post by moci »

Hi there,

Inspired by a problem in a 3D engine (in a 3D software package) I want to code the Cradle simulation myself. As these are the first bits of code I'll do in lua/love I'm sure to make mistakes. This is, of course, a purely physics based sim.

Problems:
- The circle that should initiate the sim is not where it should be when the sim starts. If I turn off gravity it is in the correct place. Anywhere from 1 to 320 gravity in the Y-direction and it will "jump" back to it's coded position. >320 breaks it entirely.
- The circle that initiates the sim pushes everything away, and not just the last one. Is this because of how Box2D works?

I'm setting the mass with the function getMassFromShapes(), which was the proper way of doing it (that's what I read on the wiki)?
The rectangles have no mass so they can not fall, and the circles have a DistanceJoint to the rectangles.
Attachments
350 Gravity.
350 Gravity.
cradle350Gravity.png (17.83 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
0 Gravity.
0 Gravity.
cradle0Gravity.png (18.27 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
cradleSim.love
The code.
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
ivan
Party member

Re: Newton's Cradle sim problem.

Post by ivan »

Several things.
Your circles have a radius of 30. You are trying to simulate a small sphere, but in Box2D, 30 units means 30 meters. Box2D has some constants that play a major role depening on the scale of your objects and that's why your shperes are moving soooo slowly.
So ya, make your spheres smaller and draw them using a x2 or x4 scale, then the simulation might work.

setMassFromShapes is used when you specify a density for your shapes while in your script you are specifying the mass of the sphers explicitly.

Secondly, you may want to specify a restitution and friction value for your shperes.
I suggest looking up setRestitution and setFriction on the wiki.

When your gravity has a super-high value it may pull the distance joint apart.
Personally, I would use a 'revolute' joint in this case:

Code: Select all

joint = love.physics.newRevoluteJoint(bodyCir, bodyRec, x, y)
Lastly, Box2D doesn't like variable time steps. Look up 'accumulators' to avoid code like:

world:update ( dt )
moci
Prole

Post by moci »

Thanks for the reply. I'll try updating the code later! ...maybe someone should update the wiki physics tutorial... :ehem:
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

ivan wrote: Your circles have a radius of 30. You are trying to simulate a small sphere, but in Box2D, 30 units means 30 meters. Box2D has some constants that play a major role depening on the scale of your objects and that's why your shperes are moving soooo slowly.
That shouldn't be the case, love does some scaling automatically because this mistake was very frequent. If I remember correctly the default scale is 30 px/m, so this means a radius of 1 meter, which is still too big, but not as much as you made it seem.
moci
Prole

Post by moci »

I've tried removing the update(dt) to a fixed step

function love.update(dt)
	accStep = accStep + dt;

if accStep >= phyStep then
		accStep = accStep - phyStep
		world:update(phyStep)
	end
end
And to make the spheres "smaller" I just increased the pixelsPerMeter, which *should* have the sam effect.
I'll come back to this once I've used love (and the physics) more.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Yep, that's how accumulators work except that you may want to change the 'if' check to a 'while' loop:

function love.update(dt)
	accStep = accStep + dt;

while accStep >= phyStep do
		accStep = accStep - phyStep
		world:update(phyStep)
	end
end
This should keep your sim running at the same speed on slower machines.