Ship jitters

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
chris-kun
Prole

Ship jitters

Post by chris-kun »

current code here.

So basically the ship is just a bit jittery and I was wondering if there was a smoother way to do it. The only lines that matter are the three starting from 64. I was trying to compare the current point of the ship with where is was in the previous frame and move the camera according (I'm using the hump library.) Any ideas?
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: Ship jitters

Post by BlackBulletIV »

I don't have the time to track down the jitters; although I have suspicion that it could be caused by your camera. I had trouble with the player jerking (or jittering, whatever) when using physics and a smooth moving camera. Taehl and bartbes helped me out there, so here's the code I came up with for my camera, it might help.

Code: Select all

camera.x = camera.x - (camera.x - (self.player.x - love.graphics.getWidth() / 2)) * dt * camera.speed
camera.y = camera.y - (camera.y - (self.player.y - love.graphics.getHeight() / 2)) * dt * camera.speed
Also, I noticed a block of code which most certainly doesn't need to be as big as it is. This is what I'm referring to:

do
    local px, py = playerBody:getWorldCenter()
    local pvec = vector.new(200, 200)
    local x, y = playerBody:getWorldCenter()
    local bvec = vector.new(x,y)
    local distance = pvec - bvec
    local f = 500000 / distance:len2()
    distance:normalize_inplace()
    local force = f * distance
    local fx = force.x
    local fy = force.y
    playerBody:applyForce(fx,fy)
  end
It could be shortened to this:

do
  local distance = vector.new(200, 200) - vector.new(playerBody:getWorldCenter())
  local f = 500000 / distance:len2()
  distance:normalize_inplace()
  local force = f * distance
  playerBody:applyForce(force.x, force.y)
end
And you might not even need the do/end bit either. Anyway, hope some of that helps.
Last edited by BlackBulletIV on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
vrld
Party member

Re: Ship jitters

Post by vrld »

As BlackBulletIV wrote, you have to make the camera movement dependent on the time to get a smooth movement. So instead of

view:translate(vector((nx-lx)*2,(ny-ly)*2))
use this:

view:translate( vector(nx-lx, ny-ly) * 0.5 * dt )
What that does is move the camera depending with a speed depending how far away it is from the player body, so it will smoothly follow the player. The 0.5 can be changed to vary the speed of the camera movement (camera.speed in the other example).
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine