Head throbbing issue.

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Havemeat
Prole

Head throbbing issue.

Post by Havemeat »

I've read the wiki and searched online but I can't figure out how to run my love2d stuff. Could somebody give me a step by step tut or something? When I run love2d.exe, all I get is a spinning thing with stars.

Thanks if you can!
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Head throbbing issue.

Post by kikito »

Have you already read Getting Started on the wiki?
When I write def I mean function.
Havemeat
Prole

Post by Havemeat »

Yes, is it saying that I can only run it through the console?

Also, how do I prepare my files? Do I zip them like it says. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Piggles
Prole

Post by Piggles »

Havemeat wrote:Yes, is it saying that I can only run it through the console?

Also, how do I prepare my files? Do I zip them like it says. It doesn't make any sense to me.
You can run it through the console, or by dragging and dropping a folder or .love file onto love.exe. And a .love file is just a renamed zip file, like you say.
Havemeat
Prole

Post by Havemeat »

Ok, I'll try it in a bit, thanks :)
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Havemeat wrote:Yes, is it saying that I can only run it through the console?
You can drag two kinds of things over love.exe
  • Any correctly-built .love file
  • Any regular folder with a main.lua file inside it
The love executable will understand this action and execute the games on the dragged file/folder.

If you have installed LÖVE using the installer, then probably double-clicking on a .love file will also launch it using LÖVE.

The console is the preferred and recommended method to use while you are developing a game. Drag-and-dropping gets very tiresome, and double-clicking only works on .love files, not on folders. With the console, if your main.lua file is inside c:\mygame, you just have to do:

Code: Select all

cd c:\mygame
love .
From them onwards, you can make changes to your game, go back to that console, press "up" to get "love ." again and then press "enter" to execute.
Havemeat wrote:Also, how do I prepare my files? Do I zip them like it says. It doesn't make any sense to me.
You have to select all the fields and compress them using winzip (or other zip compressor). Then just change the extension to .love . You just have to be careful not to simply zip the "parent folder" (c:\mygame). That will not work. Instead, you have to go inside c:\mygame, select all the files and subfolders there, and compress them (probably with the right-click menu)

If you are developing a new game, you don't need to create a .love file every time you make a change, you can execute love directly on the folder with the files (see above).
When I write def I mean function.