Going to be on a plane for 9 hours:

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
ShadowProtocol
Prole

Going to be on a plane for 9 hours:

Post by ShadowProtocol »

I've done game programming, and the beginner examples of LOVE have seen pretty easy to follow.

Should I buy the Learning Lua book? Is it THE best source there is for learning Lua rapidly?

I know how to program, just need to learn syntax and the way Lua works.

Thanks!
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Re: Going to be on a plane for 9 hours:

Post by nevon »

I haven't read that book myself, but if you have the spare cash, I don't see why not. If you already know how to program, though, you'd probably be fine with just reading Programming in Lua, which is free. Lua's syntax is mostly very simple, so I doubt it'd take you long to figure it out if you're already familiar with programming in general.
Mud
Citizen

Re: Going to be on a plane for 9 hours:

Post by Mud »

ShadowProtocol wrote:Should I buy the Learning Lua book? Is it THE best source there is for learning Lua rapidly?
Well, you could just read the manual and start playing with it, but the book will give you a fast track to being a "Lua native" and writing idiomatic code.

It's a great book. I already knew Lua when I bought it (mostly to support Lua), but it was fun to read anyway. The writing is comparable to the classic K&R The C programming language, which is impressive given that English is not Roberto's native language. If money isn't a problem, by all means, pick it up. Nevon linked the first edition, which is free but for Lua 5.0. If you can, buy the second edition, which is for the current version of Lua.