Easy coding?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Munkeecrayon1
Prole

Easy coding?

Post by Munkeecrayon1 »

I'm wondering what is the easiest thing to learn to code? I wanted to start coding and i want to start with the most basic thing i could dig up. If someone could point me in the right direction, i will give you lots of hugs and stuff. :crazy:
Qcode
Party member

Re: Easy coding?

Post by Qcode »

I'm assuming you mean coding in Löve. If he's not too busy, why don't you start learning directly from Bacon? After all, learning from a person is always a lot easier than learning from a tutorial online. If he is too busy to teach you then I recommend you watch the first few of his video tutorials (If you don't already know the very basic like making the main.lua or making a .love file) Then start going to the tutorials page.. They have some good ones there. For basic tutorials theres the basic love callbacks, The hamster tutorial (move a ball around with arrow keys), and the mouse dragging tutorial. Those are good ones to get you started.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Making a simple clone of an arcade classic is a good place to start. Some suggestions could be: Pong, Space Invaders, Tetris, a simple top-down shooter, a scrolling racing game like Monaco GP. The important thing is to start out simple.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

SimonLarsen wrote:Making a simple clone of an arcade classic is a good place to start. Some suggestions could be: Pong, Space Invaders, Tetris, a simple top-down shooter, a scrolling racing game like Monaco GP. The important thing is to start out simple.
Snake seems to be a popular choice, and dare I say a good one!
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Titousensei
Prole

Post by Titousensei »

I'm a big fan of hands-on learning. That means: don't read too much about it before trying to do something. As you find a roadblock, then you can research and read about how other people deal with the same problem.

Depending on your current coding level, you should find a project adapted to your skills. Qcode mentioned the hamster tutorial. This is a good one to start with. But again, don't just read about it. Type the code yourself, then actually run the app. Change a few things and run the app again to see if your intuition about the changes matches the reality. It's important to do the experiments yourself to build a mental toolkit of what you can do. The you can try to add one or two features, or start a new project.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Titousensei wrote:I'm a big fan of hands-on learning. That means: don't read too much about it before trying to do something. As you find a roadblock, then you can research and read about how other people deal with the same problem.
Why hit a roadblock if you can pre-empt its existence and avoid it altogether?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Titousensei
Prole

Post by Titousensei »

Why hit a roadblock if you can pre-empt its existence and avoid it altogether?
Because when you do nothing but watching other people do the work (which is what you do when you read a tutorial), you do not notice the small difficulties that are obvious for an experience programmer. Tutorial generally focus on a one or two topics, but when you try to code a project yourself, you will have roadblocks.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Reading a tutorial is not someone else writing your code (nor is it watching them, no idea what you mean by that).

In fact, reading about a language or framework before attempting to code with it will probably save you a hell of a lot of time and frustration. In fact I'm working on a game right now that was inspired by reading some articles. Without them I would have had many difficulties and problems, and in future instances I can now reproduce the ideas without having to read something beforehand, although I probably would because I'd be interested in building something better.