love-android-sdl2 (native, 0.9.2)

A project to port LÖVE to Android handhelds
fysx
Citizen

Re: love-android-sdl2 (native, 0.9.0)

Post by fysx »

Beta1 released - here we go! I really do think that the port does not deserve the name "alpha" anymore. There will still be bugs, but nevertheless it is in pretty good shape overall!

Grab it from https://bitbucket.org/MartinFelis/love- ... _beta1.apk

Changelog:
beta1:
- fixed nasty crash on startup bug
- fixed love.filesystem.getDirectoryItems()

Have fun!
Bird thing: @fysxdotorg Blog thing: fysx.org
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

How do I actually try this on my android phone ? The wiki on github is mega confusing(I'm on windows but it's written for linux), am I supposed to somehow make a .apk?

I have downloaded android SDK, but how do I use it with love-android-sdl2?

Some tips would be nice, basicly how to put my LÖVE game on my android game.
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

Easiest way to test your game on Android is to extract it to /sdcard/lovegame and run the "official" love-android APK. That's it!

To create an APK with your game (unless there is someone capable to add the documentation for you): you need the Android NDK and Android SDK. With both properly installed the instructions in the wiki and the README.md should be pretty similar (editing some files, run "ndk-build" and "ant debug").
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

fysx wrote:Easiest way to test your game on Android is to extract it to /sdcard/lovegame and run the "official" love-android APK. That's it!

To create an APK with your game (unless there is someone capable to add the documentation for you): you need the Android NDK and Android SDK. With both properly installed the instructions in the wiki and the README.md should be pretty similar (editing some files, run "ndk-build" and "ant debug").
Ok, so I extracted my game files to my sd-card on my phone and created a new folder named "lovegame", then how do you "run" the love.android.apk with it ?
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

If you have installed the .apk from https://bitbucket.org/MartinFelis/love- ... /downloads it will add a proper app with a blue icon
and the name "LÖVE for Android". Simply run it and it should start your game.

Note your game must be extracted such that /sdcard/lovegame/main.lua exists.
srcn
Citizen

Post by srcn »

Attached pic is what I get after imporing project. Can someone help me out with that?
[Edit] I am pretty new to game dev in android, I may have missed some basic things.

[Edit 2] I added annotations to ignore warnings and get it to work, but when I run the app on the emulator I get a message that says "unfortunately LÖVE for Android ha stopped."
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (21.72 KiB) Viewed 4431 times
I am a mad scientist!
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Did you use beta v1?
fysx
Citizen

Post by fysx »

@scrn: yes, that is a "portability issue" in the build system. Go to properties->Builders->[Löve] Generate Internal Scripts and either deactivate it (should be okay if you do not edit src/scripts/boot.lua) or edit it and set the "Location" to an installed Lua binary.

That should fix it. And if you manage to actually get it to work on windows please update the wiki. You'll receive lots of love in exchange!
srcn
Citizen

Post by srcn »

jjmafiae wrote:Did you use beta v1?
Yes I used bata1
fysx wrote:@scrn: yes, that is a "portability issue" in the build system. Go to properties->Builders->[Löve] Generate Internal Scripts and either deactivate it (should be okay if you do not edit src/scripts/boot.lua) or edit it and set the "Location" to an installed Lua binary.

That should fix it. And if you manage to actually get it to work on windows please update the wiki. You'll receive lots of love in exchange!
I hope I can handle that, I'll be trying to make it work today. Thanks.
I am a mad scientist!
Mermersk
Party member

Post by Mermersk »

Hey all I was wondering. If I want to publish my game on android play store, Is that actually possible with this? Or is this really still at "just for fun" level but not actually feasible to make it work on android(publish) ?

If I have a idea should I code my game/app in a specific way for android(using love-android-sdl2) or just do it as I am used to ?

Or is that experimental iOS port that slime is working on a better bet? (more complete and so on.....?)

Edit: I am now having another problem, the game doesn't scale to the resolution of my phone(unless I specify in config-file), But shouldn'T it fo that? there are many resolution on android phones so shouldn't the game scale to the screen size ?