Working Raycasting example! WolfenLöve 3D if you will...

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Working Raycasting example! WolfenLöve 3D if you will...

Post by slime »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4214717/love-0.8.0.zip should work - Lion only though, for now.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/alex/luajit/lib/libluajit-51.2.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/jasoco/Desktop/love.app/Contents/MacOS/love
Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
Methinks something is missing. Oh, I see. My name isn't Alex. *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Le fu....
It's there, just... not linked properly, I guess.

EDIT: try again from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4214717/love-0.8.0.zip , I linked LuaJIT statically this time.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Wow, that runs a lot faster. After turning off VSync I get 115FPS at high resolution. 180 on low resolution.

In stock Löve I get 45FPS on high and 80FPS on low. This is an amazing improvement.

Is there a reason this isn't standard part of the app?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

LuaJIT is still in beta (although the only bugs I've had with it were actually love's fault). That also means that it won't be in the repositories of many linux distros though, too.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Are the two intercompatible? That is to say, if I released my game here and said it works best in a LuaJIT version, would it still run (Even if slower) in the stock 0.8.0? i.e., is there anything LuaJIT's version can do that vanilla can't? Or is it just a speed improvement?
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

If you specifically take advantage of some things exclusive to LuaJIT (the bit operations, the FFI library, and the platform-independent precompiled code) then it probably won't be backwards-compatible with regular love, but otherwise it's just plug-and-play either way, so you should be fine. LuaJIT code might not be compatible with Lua 5.2 code though, but love uses Lua 5.1 currently.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Explain these exclusive JIT things and how to try them out.

Also, side note, I have launched my old "3D" demo I created a while ago and it runs super fast. Twice the FPS as normal 0.8.0. Really nice. Gives me hope.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Dear Jasoco,

Holy shit.

Moving on. Your question about the bitwise operations and FFI would probably best be explained by the LuaJIT site:
http://bitop.luajit.org/
http://luajit.org/ext_ffi.html

I don't think these things are necessarily specific to what you're trying to do, they're more like useful bonus features for everyone. I don't think slime meant to imply that you would need them. (As a side note, bitwise operations are now available in the stock Lua 5.2.)
slime wrote:LuaJIT is still in beta (although the only bugs I've had with it were actually love's fault). That also means that it won't be in the repositories of many linux distros though, too.
It's been available in the default Ubuntu repositories for a while. But I can't speak for other Linux distributions. Would Love devs be opposed to statically linking LuaJIT? (Please don't punish me if the answer to that is obvious. I usually don't know what I'm talking about.)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

That's cool. I don't want to require use of LuaJIT if it is unavailable.

I just don't know about my use of Canvases though. Those are pretty much required for my engine as it's the only way to do floors and proper pixel scaling without blurring. And I don't plan on designing levels that won't take advantage of the ability to have different floor tiles. That would be silly. Soooo Canvases it is. Hopefully I can keep my use of them as small as possible though. I don't know what the largest recommended canvas size would be. Let's say I do a maximum of 1024x1024 pixels for any given canvas. My ground tiles are 64x64. (They can be any size I want really) That's a level size of maximum 16x16. So I use 2048x2048 to allow for 32x32. But I could go bigger if I split my floor canvas into pieces and draw each piece on the inner ground canvas separately. Hopefully I can have a function to do some tests at first launch and decide what modes to use for your computer to optimize it. Would be a much easier world if I could just use as many canvases as I want. The possibilities would be endless.