What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Daniel Eakins
Citizen

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Daniel Eakins »

Sheepolution wrote:Thanks about the concept art! Here is a link to the artist's Deviantart.
Wow, that's awesome!
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

Something I been working a long time, it started as a simple platformer, but I been adding things here and there, still I don't know what to do with it.
Last edited by master both on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

@master both: sounds nice. Can you give us a bit more intel on this ?
Suppercut
Prole

Post by Suppercut »

I'm working on moving my Megaman X fangame all the way into LOVE. So far I have made some great headway and I've really taken a liking to some functions within LOVE that have simplified the hundreds of lines of GameMaker code I had to translate.

I filled out a system for drawing a sprite using a specified palette, as well as setting up MMX-style fonts using love.graphics.newImageFont, and generally getting used to the simpler way of going about a lot of what I was doing in GameMaker.

And did I ever mention Lua is the greatest programming language ever?

Now to get collision code done...sigh
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Mr. BallGuy was a good game in my eyes, but I could have done better. I wanted to work on it again, but the code was a mess. 2 space indents in some parts, 4 space indents in others, and it was just too annoying to fix. It was also very badly programmed as well. So, I decided to re-write it... from the ground up. So far I've only got the menus done, and here are a couple of pictures showing my progress, even though it's only been about 4 days.
R86KApH.jpg
R86KApH.jpg (63.51 KiB) Viewed 473 times
iv2ONEJ.jpg
iv2ONEJ.jpg (265.7 KiB) Viewed 473 times
I've also setup a GitHub Repository for it: https://github.com/GameDevStudios/Mr.-BallGuy

Some of the planned features:
  • • Better coin system
    • XP system
    • Local and Global multiplayer (4 players at least, and if I feel like it I MIGHT try to see how 8 works on global multiplayer)
    • Shop
    • Super Secret awesome thing for the end
    • Multiple Language support -- Something for the end of the project
    • Multiple Profiles
    • 0.9.0 Support -- Something for the end of the project (premature optimisation is the root of all evil ;) )
    • File size reduction
    • LuaJIT support
    • Multiple types of balls
    • Local and global challenges (for XP and coins and the like)
    • Better Collision
This is in preparation for an upcoming game, but I wont say anything about that just yet (because it wont be done until mid-2015 I think :crazy: )!

I don't think there was a need to re write it, but I just wanted to xD It was bugging me the way I had my code laid out before. I had each ball in it's own file and didn't use classes.

I'm using LöveFrames, LöveAchievements and MiddleClass for this. I haven't used MiddleClass or LöveAchievements yet, but I intend to. Still, huge thank-you to the people who made these libraries! :D

I'm assuming I'll be done about mid-2014, but I'm not sure(I have to do this thing for school in which I have to design and code a website and if I win I get to go to London for 3 days all-expenses-paid, because I told my teacher I made a game xD And because I'm apparently doing really well in ICT). Hopefully I'll have it done soon enough though :D

I'm also trying to get back into using LÖVE, because I was kind of inactive for a while. I'm big into Python now, and I really love it (more than Lua ^^). I still like using Lua and LÖVE, but man I wish there was a Python version of LÖVE (I know, I know, they have two completely different philosophies. That's why I'm trying to find a way of merging Lua and Python xD Lunatic Python and Lupa wont work because GCC isn't working properly for me and no one can fix it, not even the people on StackExchange!).

So that's what I've been up to for the past 4 days.

Oh, and the game wont be released in the thread until V1.1 is fully tested and almost completely bug free and feature packed. So that's why it might take a while. I'm calling this update "The Update To End All Updates". Why? Because it sounds cool! xD At least for me it does. And in case you're wondering: It will still be 100% free and open source. It wont be on Source Forge, though. I'm moving it to GitHub. The only reason I used SourceForge was because I didn't know how to use GitHub. Now I do, and it's awesome.
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Looks nice, keep it up. I see you are planning to have multiple languages ?
When you will get to that part, take a look at these interesting projects: i18n and babel. :)
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Both look like very interesting projects! Thanks! ^^
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Sheepolution
Party member

Post by Sheepolution »

N2abl2h.gif
N2abl2h.gif (1.34 MiB) Viewed 474 times
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

In case I haven't shown this....
ZCErWCg.png
ZCErWCg.png (5.9 KiB) Viewed 471 times
Check it out on NEKUZEN.NET!

Help is still needed! Visit irc.esper.net's #nekuzen!
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Working on a GUI library specifically for games since most people use LoveFrames (which, for simple games, is a bit too much.)

I'm talking about you, Eamonn.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.