trAInsported

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: trAInsported: Alpha testers needed

Post by Germanunkol »

spectralcanine wrote:
Then why not draw directly to the screen and make an image from it?
Crap, I should've thought of that two months ago... That's a pretty neat solution... Still, I think mine is a little more scalable and won't look as ugly (in order to grab the screen I'd actually have to display it on there which would make the screen flicker with images)
spectralcanine wrote: Or, even better, why are you making one big image to begin with? drawing those tiny amounts of tiles is practically zero effort for any PC with OpenGL, which is the basic requirement for Love2D).
As a side effect, this allows you to add animations and other dynamic stuff.
Well, the game slows down a bit on large maps if I do it like that. Although the animations argument is a good one.
Is the rendering with the new version taking too long as well?
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx wrote:I was a little vague there, but I had just read the whole 'not all systems support canvases' issue. I also think it would be a good idea to use pixel effects if the system supports it, because the GPU holds untamed amounts of processing power.
I have not looked at all into pixel effects yet. I might when I find the time, I'd also like to spice up the game's looks a little.
On the other hand, I have a Bachelor Thesis to write... I might not get around to this any time soon, and there's more important things I need to do for the game (gameplay-wise).
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
spectralcanine
Citizen

Post by spectralcanine »

Germanunkol wrote:
spectralcanine wrote:
Then why not draw directly to the screen and make an image from it?
Crap, I should've thought of that two months ago... That's a pretty neat solution... Still, I think mine is a little more scalable and won't look as ugly (in order to grab the screen I'd actually have to display it on there which would make the screen flicker with images)
spectralcanine wrote: Or, even better, why are you making one big image to begin with? drawing those tiny amounts of tiles is practically zero effort for any PC with OpenGL, which is the basic requirement for Love2D).
As a side effect, this allows you to add animations and other dynamic stuff.
Well, the game slows down a bit on large maps if I do it like that. Although the animations argument is a good one.
Is the rendering with the new version taking too long as well?
You can render tens of thousands of sprites in a sprite batch with no problem, also on old cards.
I actually find dynamic rendering to be the more scalable solution in this case, since it is more likely to hit the limit of texture sizes than to get slow rendering with sprite batches (unless you make code to split everything to multiple textures, but I don't think that's worth the effort).
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

spectralcanine wrote: (unless you make code to split everything to multiple textures, but I don't think that's worth the effort).
I did :D
There's a MAX_IMAGE_SIZE variable which makes sure each rendered image part of the map is only a certain width/height.
Displaying the map is much easier the way I do it now, because I have multiple layers (passengers, trains, shadows, ground, houses)
But, yeah, maybe I'll change it to use sprite batches some time...
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
Germanunkol.de
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

I'm fine-tuning my AI called icrawler. Sometimes it gets into some loops (as in, it gets into a loop then loops forever). Now I am thinking to add the coordinates of every corner track (as in, those that bend 90 degrees) in a table, that way, it wont get into some annoying loop.

You should probably make a brand picture system in the website. It doesn't have to be shown in-game, but just in the website, where every trAIn has a brand picture to distinguish it from others.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

What does the website mean that "Wrong file type! only lua files are allowed!"? I AM uploading a lua file (.lua)...

Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Uhm, I cannot confirm this error. I can upload .lua files just fine!
Are you on windows? Also, what browser (and version) are you using? The first thing I do after upload is check the MIME type of the file. If that's not sent by the browser, it might not work - I just changed this, can you try if it works now?

If it still doesn't work:
Can you send me the file somehow? Maybe use http://ge.tt/ ?
Then I can try if I can upload it...
substitute541 wrote: You should probably make a brand picture system in the website. It doesn't have to be shown in-game, but just in the website, where every trAIn has a brand picture to distinguish it from others.
I actually wanted to do something like this, yes. I'm still trying to come up with a good way to implement it -> I'd really like it if it was displayed in-game as well!
Germanunkol.de
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Yay, my newer AI called "icrawler_test" is about as good as TestAI. :D

Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Hi,
Weird. I looked at your script file and it's working pretty well...
Your AI is pretty good, but then sometimes it fails to take the right path. It should be much better than my testAI...
Anyways, thanks for the uploads!

Edit: New animated auto-generated .svg files now display the results of every match! http://trainsportedgame.no-ip.org/index.php

Image Image

Edit 2: Tutorial 3 was broken (was using old ai functions). It's fixed in the new download.
Germanunkol.de
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

I got an error, downloaded the latest version, and still got this error, similar to Darky's a while back:
1. Start game  2. Click Live  3. Render map  4. Display perhaps 2-3 frames of trains speeding around  5. Error
1. Start game 2. Click Live 3. Render map 4. Display perhaps 2-3 frames of trains speeding around 5. Error
Error.png (12.52 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
Edit: Maybe it happens when I move my mouse just as the rendering finishes.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Does the problem still happen if you try to connect to the game again now?

It shouldn't have anything to do with your mouse - I believe this is a serverside problem... or at least it has to do with the connection. I think something isn't transmitted right.
I just can't recreate it :(

The good news is that thangs to your error reports I was able to make it catch the error. Next time, it should at least safely return to the menu. Thanks!
Germanunkol.de