Plazma Being

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
felix24
Party member

Re: Plazma Being (so far)

Post by felix24 »

Robin wrote:Cool!

One thing though, isn't that thing flying in the background (while a nice detail) not going to be a distraction while playing?
hey man thanks ^^

no one has mentioned them being distracting so far. they only appear in the first two levels anyway, which are simple tutorial levels.
felix24
Party member

Re: Plazma Being (so far) (Demo)

Post by felix24 »

Hey guys,

I've put an exe version of then demo of the game up on my site. It contains the first 3 levels of the game.

Get it here if you want to try it out.

It's still in development so there's probably a few bugs. If you find any let my know if you can. That would be great :ultrahappy:

Cheers

EDIT: i uploaded the wrong file by mistake as usual. gimme a few mins to upload the proper one

EDIT: ok should be alright now. let me know if you have any trouble running it
Last edited by felix24 on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

cool. good job.. :D ;)
Lua is not an acronym.
azonicrider
Prole

Post by azonicrider »

Very cool, this game will be quite a hit, once done.
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

thanks guys :awesome:
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

On my screen the edges are cut off :(

It is also quite slow, but that's just my computer.

Anyways, looks good, and hopefully I will have more feedback once I play it on a non-crappy computer. :)
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Hi felix. I played the demo and nearly completed level 3.
It seems to be a cool concept, and it's obvious that the game is a labor of love.
As a dev, I'm very impressed by what you have so far.
I really wished that I would have loved the game as a player too but there are some things that turned me off.
With some polish I believe you can have a very nice game here.

The biggest issue I think is the platforming/jumping.
Most puzzles were easy to figure out but hard to complete due to the platforming (this can be detrimental for a PUZZLE game).
You're using a circle shape to represent the player so it's very easy to get stuck on the corners of platforms where the plazma being is not falling but you can't jump either or move sideways towards the top of the platform.
I think you may want to try another collision shape (such as a rect with disabled rotation) or somehow allow the player to jump in such cases.
Also, the jumping is not as precise as I wish it would be. It doesn't matter how long you hold the jump button - the plazma being jumps the same height.
These may seem like minor gripes but I failed so many times due to these two issues which would probably frustrate average players who don't have as much patience.

The control scheme is a bit complicated which is fine but I think it would turn off casual players instantly.
One suggestion I have for this is to make the 'shooting' mode (E key) accessible via the mouse wheel and perhaps remove the 'shift' to accelerate key altogether (from what I've played so far there doesn't seem to be a reason why you wouldn't want to be running all the time).

There are some other minor gameplay gripes but overall it's probably miles ahead of most other Love2D projects in terms of its commercial potential.
I like the flies and the dentures on wheels you have in some of the levels, they seem to give the game character. :)
The first puzzle with the fly which is blocking your path is a bit cryptic though, my first initial thought was to shoot at it with the E button.

Keep it up, nice game overall!
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

thanks so much for the feedback guys ^^

ivan: hey man, thanks for such a detailed feedback! the issues about the controls were mentioned on another forum as well. it's something i'm definitely going to have to put some more time into to improve. i don't want to scare players away with bad implementation... i did a bit of work on it today and uploaded a new version of the demo. hopefully it's a bit better but i'd say still not quite as good as it could be yet. i'll keep working on it :) i changed the movement speed to be always fast, but now if you hold shift he goes slower. i think it's handy for some of the jumping (especially between blocks) to have his movement speed limited. but you are right, most of the time you want to go fast. i just got so used to holding shift while playing it that i kinda forgot about it :roll: i'll probably get rid of the E key for the energy ball too like you suggested. it's a good point.
thanks again. your feedback has really helped me out :awesome:

Nsmurf: hey man, what resolution setting were you using on your monitor? the game is supposed to fit itself to your monitor automatically, but it obviously didn't work ;) thanks for the feedback btw
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

felix24 wrote:Nsmurf: hey man, what resolution setting were you using on your monitor? the game is supposed to fit itself to your monitor automatically, but it obviously didn't work ;) thanks for the feedback btw
My monitor is 1024X768 with 32 bit color and a 75 hertz refresh rate.
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
felix24
Party member

Post by felix24 »

Nsmurf wrote:
felix24 wrote:Nsmurf: hey man, what resolution setting were you using on your monitor? the game is supposed to fit itself to your monitor automatically, but it obviously didn't work ;) thanks for the feedback btw
My monitor is 1024X768 with 32 bit color and a 75 hertz refresh rate.
hmmm. does it go higher than 1024x768? basically if there's no settings file saved then the game checks what the highest resolution setting is supported by your monitor and sets up the window depending on what size it is. so if your monitor can go higher than 1024x768 then it may be making the window too big.