Kurosuke (working title)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Kurosuke (working title)

Post by Lafolie »

Do you do that using framebuffers?
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Sounds like you'd get about the same performance using spritebatches then, but you wouldn't have to generate RAM- and time-wasting images. :)
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Lafolie wrote:Do you do that using framebuffers?
Nope, don't like having spotty support. My work computer doesn't support framebuffers, so I avoid them.
slime wrote:Sounds like you'd get about the same performance using spritebatches then, but you wouldn't have to generate RAM- and time-wasting images. :)
Could you post a link to a .love that uses spritebatches, or perhaps link me to a tutorial? The wiki wasn't much help when I looked over it.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
SoggyWaffles
Citizen

Post by SoggyWaffles »

Tried playing single player, but I'm using a Mac laptop and I do not have a right control button (as far as i know).
"Beneath the clouds lives the Earth-Mother from whom is derived the Water of Life, who at her bosom feeds plants, animals and men." ~Larousse
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

SoggyWaffles wrote:Tried playing single player, but I'm using a Mac laptop and I do not have a right control button (as far as i know).
I've run into this problem, it irks me without end. Until I work out a better solution, use the F key (which is the action button for Player 2) to go into the key rebinding menu and change the action button of Player 1 to whatever is handy in your keyboard layout.

Anyone have any suggestions on this problem, btw? When I first wrote the default keybindings for Players 1-4, I didn't even consider that the mac laptops are missing keys as well as mouse buttons.

Here are the current default buttons, in psuedo code:

Code: Select all

--in order: up, down, left, right, action, cancel, pause
player 1 = "up", "down", "left", "right", "rctrl", "rshift", "backspace" 
player 2 = "w", "s", "a", "d", "f", " ", "escape" 
player 3 = "i", "k", "j", "l", ";", "ralt", "/" 
player 4 = "kp8", "kp2", "kp4", "kp6", "kp+", "kpenter", "numlock" 
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

tentus wrote:I've run into this problem, it irks me without end. Until I work out a better solution, use the F key (which is the action button for Player 2) to go into the key rebinding menu and change the action button of Player 1 to whatever is handy in your keyboard layout.

Anyone have any suggestions on this problem, btw? When I first wrote the default keybindings for Players 1-4, I didn't even consider that the mac laptops are missing keys as well as mouse buttons.

Modern Macs have a right click as well as the scroll up and down and even a middle button. It all depends on how many fingers you use and how you use them and in some cases what other modifier keys you hold. I can perform anything your PC laptop can.

As for keys. Well, I sure as hell wouldn't want a useless numpad on my laptop keyboard. I don't even use the ones I have on my fullsize keyboard. I didn't even use them when I was a PC user in the 90's. I'm all about the arrow keys, baby!
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Jasoco wrote:
tentus wrote:I've run into this problem, it irks me without end. Until I work out a better solution, use the F key (which is the action button for Player 2) to go into the key rebinding menu and change the action button of Player 1 to whatever is handy in your keyboard layout.

Modern Macs have a right click as well as the scroll up and down and even a middle button. It all depends on how many fingers you use and how you use them and in some cases what other modifier keys you hold. I can perform anything your PC laptop can.

As for keys. Well, I sure as hell wouldn't want a useless numpad on my laptop keyboard. I don't even use the ones I have on my fullsize keyboard. I didn't even use them when I was a PC user in the 90's. I'm all about the arrow keys, baby!
That's nice. Unfortunately, the only Mac I have easy access to is moderately old, and unless I'm seriously missing something, it lacks a few buttons. As does every other interation of that model, and several other Mac laptop models. I don't think "replace laptop" is a very good solution to the problem at hand.

So, anyone got anything a little more useful for me? Remember, I have to come up with defaults for four players on the same machine, which means that excluding the numpad pretty much forces you to use FTGH. I personally use the numpad constantly, it's a personal requirement for every laptop I've ever bought in the past decade.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

I wouldn't worry about it. Most PC laptops don't have the numpad either. And you could offer an "alternate" 4th player input option for the rare chance that four people will want to play the game on a laptop. And if you do require mouse input, mice are pretty cheap.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

Jasoco wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. Most PC laptops don't have the numpad either. And you could offer an "alternate" 4th player input option for the rare chance that four people will want to play the game on a laptop. And if you do require mouse input, mice are pretty cheap.
I do offer key rebinding, you can rebind every player input ingame (or via text editor if the config file has been written once). The level editor has some hard-coded mouse bindings, but the mouse is optional, if notably faster to use.

The problem is that the closest button to the arrow keys on most computers is rctrl. Therefor I use it as the "action" button, since it is easy to reach and convenient. But check this keyboard layout:
No rctrl.

Those without this button can use the player 2+ action button to rebind player 1 action button to something convenient (I dunno, ralt?) but this solution kinda grates at me.

This may have been answered before, but is there an easy way to test if a laptop has a button at all? love.keyboard.isPresent("kp7") kinda dealio?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Use Command. On OS X Löve it's sent as Windows Key. Just check for the OS being OS X and use Win/Command for action in that case. Newer MB keyboards have L and R Command and Option keys. Older ones have a right side Return key instead of Option. And Option is labeled Alt for Windows users.