"Questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bobbyjones
Party member

Re: "Questions that don't deserve their own thread" thread

Post by bobbyjones »

At 400 posts I would imagine this thing would be stickied by now lol.
jalamaya
Prole

Post by jalamaya »

new love2d user here. what can i use as substitute for love.window.showMessageBox()? im trying to create a messagebox that is attached to my window and i can change its design and remove title bar and disable everything that is behind said messagebox like a prompt when you are about to exit a game, something like that. tnx
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

You can draw a box with text and check for the mouse \o/
jalamaya
Prole

Post by jalamaya »

bobbyjones wrote:You can draw a box with text and check for the mouse \o/
that idea has been on my mind for some time but i actually feel that there's a better way. i just discovered love frames and now studying it. do you think it would be better that drawing a rectangle and text?
jalamaya
Prole

Post by jalamaya »

jalamaya wrote:
that idea has been on my mind for some time but i actually feel that there's a better way. i just discovered love frames and now studying it. do you think it would be better that drawing a rectangle and text?
nvm, its not compatible with 0.10.0 :(. guess ill have to settle with rectangles
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

jalamaya wrote:
jalamaya wrote:
nvm, its not compatible with 0.10.0 :(. guess ill have to settle with rectangles
Maybe the version you found isn't, but the is a 0.10 fork over at https://github.com/cyborgize/LoveFrames
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

I personally recommend for one pop up to just use code you have written rather than a library because you would have it exactly how you want it. When using libraries you have to do a lot of work just to get what you want and probably would only benefit in cases where you have a ton of UI elements.
emp
Prole

Post by emp »

jalamaya wrote:new love2d user here. what can i use as substitute for love.window.showMessageBox()? im trying to create a messagebox that is attached to my window and i can change its design and remove title bar and disable everything that is behind said messagebox like a prompt when you are about to exit a game, something like that. tnx
you can use something like this: http://pastebin.com/u15v5h30
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

I have an idea for a game mechanic that would require game objects to emit 'clouds', or something like that. Cloudy colourful things in all directions. Possibly also directed in a cone or something. The colourful clouds would linger around a bit and intermix or at least overlap and thus result in mixed colours.
Is that possible?
How?
Can it be fast enough to fill the whole screen on your average five year old laptop with integrated graphics?
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

murks wrote:I have an idea for a game mechanic that would require game objects to emit 'clouds', or something like that. Cloudy colourful things in all directions. Possibly also directed in a cone or something. The colourful clouds would linger around a bit and intermix or at least overlap and thus result in mixed colours.
Is that possible?
How?
Can it be fast enough to fill the whole screen on your average five year old laptop with integrated graphics?
You basically just described particle systems.