What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by josefnpat »

zwzsg wrote:I've been working on learning how to create a UDP connection for the silly game I submitted couple weeks ago to the CPC "Make Something Horrible contest. It was painful. Online testing is especially troublesome. Thanks to josefnpat for kindly trying broken builds after broken builds until I got it right.

Here's the game: BayWatchVolleyV05.zip (Warning: the inwards are as ugly as the outwards.)

I would like to be the first to say, this game is cool, but very strange. Very strange.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

zwzsg wrote:I've been working on learning how to create a UDP connection for the silly game I submitted couple weeks ago to the CPC "Make Something Horrible contest. It was painful. Online testing is especially troublesome. Thanks to josefnpat for kindly trying broken builds after broken builds until I got it right.

Here's the game: BayWatchVolleyV05.zip (Warning: the inwards are as ugly as the outwards.)

Terrible, terrible game... ;)
1- First, this game is beyond being only projected or developed. You could should already make a project entry thread for this. In this thread this will be forever lost.
2- Game don't play for me using OSX. Game start but hangs waiting for something. I didn't understood if was UDP detecting problem or instead some graphic problem.
3- That Pisa Tower even only availing screenshot obviously don't have the correct angle. How can people take your game seriously if it's inaccurate! ;D
4- Those cabana boys deserved an italo-disco music soundtrack.

Obviously this classic hit would be perfect choice (if it was legally possible)

EDITED 1: Found the cause of the problem

Code: Select all

love.timer.sleep(30)
in every cycle of love.update...

EDITED 2: The game is so bad that if we make a point but ball meanwhile if bouncing ball lands in our field opponent also scores! :D
But game is a blast of fun! Congratulations! Even bad intentional bad designed things could be great!
zwzsg
Prole

Post by zwzsg »

coffee wrote:First, this game is beyond being only projected or developed. You could should already make a project entry thread for this.
Dunno, from what I glanced the projects subforum is full of useful librairies and cute games, beside I have no plan to continue updating this.
coffee wrote:I didn't understood if was UDP detecting problem or instead some graphic problem.
It only create sockets if you type the specific command to host or join.
coffee wrote:That Pisa Tower even only availing screenshot obviously don't have the correct angle.
Pretend it's a net. I didn't have a picture of a net at hand so had to crop an old holiday photo instead.
coffee wrote:Those cabana boys deserved an italo-disco music soundtrack.
Sound is entirely lacking. Had some idea about mouth-made bounce effects, but I know from other projects remastering sounds would take way too long.
coffee wrote:Game don't play for me using OSX. Game start but hangs waiting for something.
Game is for Löve 0.7.2, not for 0.8.0!
coffee wrote:love.timer.sleep(30)
I noticed Löve gobble all available CPU power, which I didn't like, and googled this solution. Is it bad?

Otherwise thanks for feedback.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

zwzsg wrote:Dunno, from what I glanced the projects subforum is full of useful librairies and cute games, beside I have no plan to continue updating this.
As you see there was already motifs for people comment, give suggestions as I and josefnpat did. Also with his own thread game gains more visibility. Even that your game is intentionally "bad" the true is that have gameplay and it's even fun (and it's kind of done).
zwzsg wrote:It only create sockets if you type the specific command to host or join.
Ignore. As you will notice soon sleep command is after all the guilty one.
zwzsg wrote:I didn't have a picture of a net at hand so had to crop an old holiday photo instead.
That was a hilarious answer and almost made my day! (My earlier comment was only to be funny, but as I see failed!)
zwzsg wrote:I noticed Löve gobble all available CPU power, which I didn't like, and googled this solution. Is it bad?
Yes, almost terrible. I leave you with this thread/answer that explain the LOVE way if you want to slowdown things.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9287#p57440
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Also, love.sleep used milliseconds in LOVE 0.7.2, but it uses SECONDS in LOVE 0.8.0. So, you're telling LOVE to sleep half a minute, every frame, on 0.8.0. That's where the freeze comes
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
zwzsg
Prole

Post by zwzsg »

Fine, here's a version that should compatible with both 0.7.2 and 0.8.0:
Attachments
BayWatchVolley.love
(300.06 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
Banoticus
Citizen

Post by Banoticus »

I am woking on about five different games.

The Crawler Of Dungeons
This is a top down game where you must battle monsters. It has kind of been forgotten because of all the other games.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8698

Platformer X
The second game me and Davidobot have made. It is a platformer about a robot. He is stuck in a temple and must escape. He can fire missiles and jump about four times his heightviewtopic.php?f=5&t=8919

Space Battle
This is just a plain old minigame. At the moment there is only multiplayer mode. There is no forum topic for this but when it is ready i'll make one and release it there.

TAOTRTWGE
Don't ask about the name, that's davidobot's fault. You are a red squishy square in a randomly generated world. Originally a terraria or minecraft clone it is now a game of it's own.viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9729

ARZI
This is my latest game. We (me and davidobot) are working with the sockmonkees to make a top down shooter. It is still very early on in development.
Triplenox
Prole

Post by Triplenox »

I'm working on a 2D side scroller for extra income and also to get me into a better GCSE course;D
Zizaco
Prole

Post by Zizaco »

gui sistem (just a test for now)
Attachments
my_gui_test.love
(191.21 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I desire a photo of kikito's cat.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push