LOVE doesn't do anything

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Ekamu
Party member

Re: LOVE doesn't do anything

Post by Ekamu »

Daniel Eakins wrote:I think that while LÖVE is basically one of the best video game creation frameworks, it makes a very bad job at showing it to newcomers.

For example, none of this is shown in any shape or form on the website:
Jasoco wrote:Yes. Löve is completely and utterly useless.

Here are some examples of Löve being completely useless...

[CENSORED BECAUSE PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO NOT QUOTE AS MUCH]
(The last three are my useless examples)

The OP is correct. Löve is completely useless. I mean look at that uselessness! So useless.
Some of those games are shown on the homepage. Infact the homepage is very clear as to where you can get help and what LOVE is ( an *awsome* framework NOT an engine with IDE) and all that. Also it could feel gimmicky if it was clustered with dozens of YouTube videos and such.
LOVE should just link to there if no games are run I think THEN show the "spinny-piggy-thingy".

Some newcomers skip all that and just look for the download button then troll when its not what was expected (<_<).
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

they expect a full IDE and a editor and lots of buttons.
iPoisonxL
Party member

Post by iPoisonxL »

I didn't expect much, just a framework.

Code: Select all

L
    L Ö
    Ö V
L Ö V E
Ö B E
V E
E Y
Website
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

you know NOT quoting a huge post of videos is always a good plan, just sayin'
(I'd say something useful but unek beat all of you)
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The thing is, the game example screenshots on the homepage are pretty far down. All that's at the top is Download. In my experience, Download should be at the bottom so the visitor needs to scroll passed the examples and documentation before he/she gets to the download link.

[Side note, I hope to one day have a screenshot of my own on the front page. Maybe sometime in 2023 at the rate I code. Right around the time Löve 0.10.0 comes out at the rate you guys code. I kid! I kid! Don't shoot me please.]
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:All that's at the top is Download. In my experience, Download should be at the bottom so the visitor needs to scroll passed the examples and documentation before he/she gets to the download link.
Hm, not so sure about that. It frustrates me to no end when websites bury the download link. But maybe I'm weird like that.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Ekamu
Party member

Post by Ekamu »

burying the download link might not be such a great idea, sometimes Its a discouragement of its own but for the case of getting to see all the documentation and screenshots I say bury it.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I think the website is very well structured. The downloads section also contains valuable information about what platforms LÖVE is available on (something many game engines hide several clicks away, to my frustration). The shortness of the website also helps, because you can't really get lost.
riidom
Citizen

Post by riidom »

Hi there! LÖVE is an *awesome* framework you can use to make 2D games[...]

Try it! It's super-easy. Just check out the hello world example on the wiki.
IMO, if one doesnt understand this, then because one doesnt want to understand this.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Would perhaps a direct link to http://www.love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started on the start page help? That's what the OP would have needed to read at least.