What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
coffee
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by coffee »

SimonLarsen wrote:
Yeah yeah, pretty and funny and it jumps but so, what happened to the Herbie and to the previous announced roguelike in this thread? ;)
SimonLarsen wrote:I've been wanting to make a casual roguelike for Gameboy for quite some time now.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

coffee wrote: Yeah yeah, pretty and funny and it jumps but so, what happened to the Herbie and to the previous announced roguelike in this thread? ;)
While struggling to design some levels for Herbie & Jamal we came to the conclusion that the game simply wasn't fun. It was fun to make but the game design didn't work. So we decided to cancel it but we're hoping to reboot the project if we figure out how to make it fun.

The roguelike was never more than a mockup and simple prototype. Just sort of lost interest in that one.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

SimonLarsen wrote:
The more platformers, the better!
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Needs moar parallax. :P
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

SimonLarsen wrote:
coffee wrote: Yeah yeah, pretty and funny and it jumps but so, what happened to the Herbie and to the previous announced roguelike in this thread? ;)
While struggling to design some levels for Herbie & Jamal we came to the conclusion that the game simply wasn't fun. It was fun to make but the game design didn't work. So we decided to cancel it but we're hoping to reboot the project if we figure out how to make it fun.

The roguelike was never more than a mockup and simple prototype. Just sort of lost interest in that one.
That's a bit sad. You guys spent a lot of hours developing and tuning Herbie and Love community response opinion about it was smashing good. I hope that project reborn in some way. Good luck for new project! Seems quite solid for now. And we need to touch it to see it's really "fun". :P
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

SimonLarsen wrote: While struggling to design some levels for Herbie & Jamal we came to the conclusion that the game simply wasn't fun. It was fun to make but the game design didn't work. So we decided to cancel it but we're hoping to reboot the project if we figure out how to make it fun.

Sad about Herbie & Jamal. The new platformer looks very slick!
When I write def I mean function.
StoneCrow
Party member

Post by StoneCrow »

kikito wrote:Sad about Herbie & Jamal. The new platformer looks very slick!
Agreed and also hard haha!
Dull but sincere filler.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

slime wrote:Needs moar parallax. :P
Yeah. Make the background layer be a separate grid of tiles that moves slower than the foreground. As long as you optimized it well enough Löve should have no problem handling two, if not three layers.
SimonLarsen
Party member

Post by SimonLarsen »

Agreed. It's looks awfully flat right now.

Not decided how I'm gonna do it yet. Right now the background is just a separate layer in Tiled.
StoneCrow wrote:Agreed and also hard haha!
You have no idea! :x Took me like 30 tries to get a recording where I didn't die (except at 0:36 which was on purpose to show off the animation.)
coffee wrote:That's a bit sad. You guys spent a lot of hours developing and tuning Herbie and Love community response opinion about it was smashing good. I hope that project reborn in some way. Good luck for new project! Seems quite solid for now. And we need to touch it to see it's really "fun". :P
Thanks man. I really appreciate all the feedback we got.
Attachments
107e7.png
107e7.png (90.33 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

SimonLarsen wrote:
Agreed. It's looks awfully flat right now.

Not decided how I'm gonna do it yet. Right now the background is just a separate layer in Tiled.
If it's drawn separately (i.e. before the foreground, but as a separate loop.) you just have the game calculate which tiles to show for two different layers instead of one and have the second one have a slower movement speed. It's more complicated than that but with a bit of thought you can figure out exactly how to do. Basically, if you have a map that's 256 tiles wide and you want your background to move at 50% speed you just have it move * 0.5 and only have it be 128 tiles wide. 75% speed would be * 0.75 and be 192 tiles. Etc, etc...