2012 Märch Showcase

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: 2012 Märch Showcase

Post by josefnpat »

I've got something that I'm working on too :) I plan on having it finished for this showcase!
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

So it turns out you can't upload files to the jam website :huh: . I removed the requirement from the rules.
Is there a good alternative? Require a wiki/forum post?
trubblegum
Party member

Post by trubblegum »

Over on bgg the requirements in this area tend to go along the lines :
- a thread dedicated to your project in the projects section, with description, screencap, and attachment in OP (helps prevent spamming of project-specific comments in the comp thread)
- a post in the submission thread with a link to your project thread

Seems to work well.

I think requiring a wiki post would be begging for spam.
Having your project featured on the wiki might be a reward for the runners-up.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Ah so as I expected after not seeing baconhawk7x screenshots in his entry there is really an uploading problem. But I wasn't admired his project upload fail since it would be normal have the same limitations than normal forum file upload.
trubblegum wrote: - a post in the submission thread with a link to your project thread
The perfect (and fair) solution would be upload to somewhere that wouldn't allow change attachment once submitted.
Using a normal thread would be fine. However edit the post with attachment should "disqualify" entry. Wouldn't be fair after get community feedback or check another entries modify/correct/improve the submitted project.

But remember that in practical ways this means also that wouldn't be allowed +10MB files. That would also rule out the only project for now submitted. And that wouldn't be fair also since wasn't before some rule against it.

Due the server problems would be fair that the organizing committee review rules, technical conditions and perhaps extend a few days the deadline.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

coffee wrote:The perfect (and fair) solution would be upload to somewhere that wouldn't allow change attachment once submitted.
Using a normal thread would be fine. However edit the post with attachment should "disqualify" entry. Wouldn't be fair after get community feedback or check another entries modify/correct/improve the submitted project.
I'm not really concerned with people editing. I'm more concerned with making sure links aren't dead in a couple months/years.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

TechnoCat wrote:
coffee wrote:The perfect (and fair) solution would be upload to somewhere that wouldn't allow change attachment once submitted.
I'm not really concerned with people editing. I'm more concerned with making sure links aren't dead in a couple months/years.
Ok, I was suggesting that because after all this showcase is also a sort of competition.

However your preoccupation raises two points:
1 - If the submitter can edit it, can also delete attachment at any point so "your not concerned with editing" conflicts with "links aren't dead in a couple month/years".
2 - Also you don't want that "links aren't dead in x time" means in some way that submitters must agree with perpetual forced distribution of his project even that at some point the submitter no longer wants for any reason his project distributed.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Well TechnoCat, as the admin, couldn't you quickly run through and upload all the games to a server, perhaps the love wiki?
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

josefnpat wrote:Well TechnoCat, as the admin, couldn't you quickly run through and upload all the games to a server, perhaps the love wiki?
from #love:
[22:27] <josefnpat> Just as long as someone doesn't like bring something like, oh say, mari0 in
Lol,your fears come true josef...

Well Mari0 is finally, silently and officially on the run now, so the winner is kind declared. Just do your inscription like Maurice and baconhawk7x did because I think TechnoCat don't have admin rights to make such server changes.

(EDITED)
veethree
Inner party member

Post by veethree »

Well clearly mari0 is winning..i submitted a little something anyway ;) just for the fuck of it haha
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

veethree wrote:Well clearly mari0 is winning..i submitted a little something anyway ;) just for the fuck of it haha
No, Mari0 won't win for sure! I yet have to submit my Sonic+Skyrim mashup. It's called "The Rings of the Dovahkiin".
For those who didn't understood I was really kidding. Yes Mari0 you haven't no competition at same level.