ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
paulclinger
Party member

Re: ZeroBrane Studio Lua IDE v0.70 is out

Post by paulclinger »

dan369 wrote:Another curiosity question ; any information on what is planned for v0.80? And does the IDE have theme support? Always wanted to try out a dark-theme on it :)
@dan369, yes, @murks is correct, ZBS has a theme support; for example, check this FAQ answer on how to set it up. I also recently posted a screenshot from one of the users who just happened to use a dark theme. It may not look as good/consistent on Windows though, unless you set the dark theme in the OS too.

As to the plans for 0.80, can't say for sure yet what will be included. I'm working on several things in parallel -- a package manager, outline panel for functions, improved file navigation, auto-complete with user functions and better class awareness -- but none are complete enough to be included. I usually do a release every 6-8 weeks, so it shouldn't be a long wait ;).
Zilarrezko
Party member

Post by Zilarrezko »

Is there anyway to somehow make it act kinda like Visual Studio in the fact like when I press the left pointed bracket {, it creates a right bracket. And puts the cursor in between those two. Then when I press enter directly after, it fits the cursor to the next line, tabbed in and the right pointed brace on the next line. And have it work very similarly with functions. Except with a parenthesis completions and then once finished with parenthesis i could just press enter and it creates an end to the function and puts the cursor on the next line tabbed, and yet again the end on the line afterwards. I looked a small bit for macro's or something, But nothing turned up.

btw I find it difficult for some reason. Looked around the site and everything. but when I do this...

Code: Select all

if key == "a" then
      elseif key == "b" then*
And instead of that "*" I press enter and the whole line seems to detab, and erase the tab I put before the elseif line. It's a finicky problem, and it's a relativly easy thing to live with, but it bugs me when I'm trying to make multiple lines.

I know these are personal things, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask... :|
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

paulclinger wrote:
dan369 wrote:Another curiosity question ; any information on what is planned for v0.80? And does the IDE have theme support? Always wanted to try out a dark-theme on it :)
As to the plans for 0.80, can't say for sure yet what will be included. I'm working on several things in parallel -- a package manager, outline panel for functions, improved file navigation, auto-complete with user functions and better class awareness -- but none are complete enough to be included. I usually do a release every 6-8 weeks, so it shouldn't be a long wait ;).
What will the outline panel for functions be? Something similar to what Geany/Eclipse offer? I was using Geany until you helped me to get ZBS to work on Arch again and I have to say that I prefer the function panel of Geany over the 'jump to function' dropdown of ZBS as it offers a (sort of) overview at a glance.
What might also be nice to have is what I've seen in notepad++, that mini-version of the document in a side panel. I haven't used it myself but it seems like a somewhat weird but interesting concept. We usually identify code by some sort of name, not by it visual outline :)
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

Zilarrezko wrote:Is there anyway to somehow make it act kinda like Visual Studio in the fact like when I press the left pointed bracket {, it creates a right bracket. And puts the cursor in between those two.
You can try the autodelimiter plugin.

if key == "a" then
      elseif key == "b" then*
> And instead of that "*" I press enter and the whole line seems to detab, and erase the tab I put before the elseif line. It's a finicky problem, and it's a relativly easy thing to live with, but it bugs me when I'm trying to make multiple lines.

Yes, it's a bit of a challenge to keep it formatted *while* you are typing and also *after* you typed it. I made a decision to allow it to stay not properly indented while you are typing, but it should look correct after you type Enter. I do have a tendency to fix it myself sometimes (for example, to indent elseif before fully typing it in) and then typing Enter will mis-indent it. Two ways to avoid this are: (1) don't hit enter if it's already aligned (maybe I should add Shift-Enter for that?) or (2) use re-indent (Ctrl/Cmd-I)to fix all indentations.
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

murks wrote:What will the outline panel for functions be? Something similar to what Geany/Eclipse offer? I was using Geany until you helped me to get ZBS to work on Arch again and I have to say that I prefer the function panel of Geany over the 'jump to function' dropdown of ZBS as it offers a (sort of) overview at a glance.
What might also be nice to have is what I've seen in notepad++, that mini-version of the document in a side panel. I haven't used it myself but it seems like a somewhat weird but interesting concept. We usually identify code by some sort of name, not by it visual outline :)
@murks, yes, it's being prototyped as a new tab next to the "Project" tab that includes a tree (similar to the one in Project) with the list of currently open files, and for each file its list of functions. The last level may include used global variables and referenced functions for each of the functions, but I haven't decided on that yet. Something like this:

file1
  globalvar1
  function1
    calls function2
  function2
    uses globalvar1
  function3
file2
  function2
Do you have a good screenshot for how it looks in Geany or Notepad++?
dan369
Prole

Post by dan369 »

paulclinger wrote:ZBS has a theme support

Awesome :D! And well I can't wait, they sound like amazing features!
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

dan369 wrote:Awesome :D! And well I can't wait, they sound like amazing features!
Don't get your hopes too high yet ;). I may limit the changes to just the package manager as it may open the door to several plugins I have in the pipeline, like tracking changes with indicators and possibly git integration.
SkymarshallHeff
Prole

Post by SkymarshallHeff »

paulclinger wrote:> That would be more than enough to make me cry tears of joy

@SkymarshallHeff, I took a look, but it turned out to be not as straightforward as I'd like. I ran into some issues at the Scintilla level. Still checking... Paul.
let me know if you make any progress :D
paulclinger
Party member

Post by paulclinger »

SkymarshallHeff wrote:let me know if you make any progress :D
Definitely, although it doesn't look too promising at the moment. First, there are some issues with displaying the folder markers (as I linked earlier) and second, there is nothing to guarantee that the regions are going to be correctly foldable. For example, there is nothing that stops the users from doing this:

if true then
  --#region something
end
--#endregion
which will mess up the indentation for the "region" and for the "if" statement.

It may be much simpler to do something like this:

do --region something
  if true then
  end
end
This will show "do --region something" when collapsed, which is not too far from showing "--#region const". Paul.
murks
Party member

Post by murks »

paulclinger wrote:
murks wrote:What will the outline panel for functions be? Something similar to what Geany/Eclipse offer? I was using Geany until you helped me to get ZBS to work on Arch again and I have to say that I prefer the function panel of Geany over the 'jump to function' dropdown of ZBS as it offers a (sort of) overview at a glance.
@murks, yes, it's being prototyped as a new tab next to the "Project" tab that includes a tree (similar to the one in Project) with the list of currently open files, and for each file its list of functions. The last level may include used global variables and referenced functions for each of the functions, but I haven't decided on that yet. Something like this:

file1
  globalvar1
  function1
    calls function2
  function2
    uses globalvar1
  function3
file2
  function2
Do you have a good screenshot for how it looks in Geany or Notepad++?
This geany screenshot should be sufficient: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gean ... ubuntu.png
In case of Lua it shows only the functions though, no global or local variables. It always shows the functions of the current file.

Geany has another neat feature, it can tell where a function is called from, limited to currently open files though.

The notepad++ feature I refered to is called 'Document Map': http://notepad-plus-plus.org/assets/images/docMap.png
The panel on the right shows a miniature version of the whole document, the part with the orange overlay is the part that the main view currently shows.