Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.07]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.05]

Post by Lafolie »

This is cool, I have a few suggestions.

As has been stated before, the turning mechanic could still do with some tweaking, it feels a little odd at the moment. If I hold a movement key down and spin it creates a spiral affect. Should this be a circle instead?

The smaller objects should reward a few more points than their larger counterparts.

Objects should change colour gradually over time, rather than go though a couple of colour steps. This helps to better identify which object to reach for next (incredibly frustrating to get to an object only to have it magically pop out of existence).
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
chezrom
Citizen

Re: Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.05]

Post by chezrom »

Thank you for you feedback Lafolie, and sorry for my response time.

The model I use is that each ring of the snake is pulled by the previous. Is not how a real snake move of course, and it's in fact like a string or a train without rail. The follower don't have the same trajectory that the followed (except in right motion) and try to "cut the curve' (sorry for my english!)
And it's normal that when you push the right key the body don't draw a circle : you can easy simulate that fact with a string on a table and moving an extremity with a circular motion, the string don't draw a circle.

For your other remarks, you're right and I got to release in a next version.

But first, I release a version that work with Löve 0.9.0 ! (see OP)
chezrom
Citizen

Re: Ophidian Crawler : a non-tron snake clone [v0.07]

Post by chezrom »

(Sorry for the double post)

Here a new version of Ophidian Crawler 0.07. See OP for the love file.

New Features :
  • Background generated by the noise() of love 0.9.0
  • Vitamin have progressive color from yellow to red, before disapearing
  • Score of vitamin from 50 to 200, depending of maturity and size (little red = 200, fat yellow = 50)
Enjoy !