trAInsported

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TheScriptan
Citizen

Re: trAInsported: Alpha testers needed

Post by TheScriptan »

100 Comments! Btw this piece of work is just soooooooooooo amazing. I never fought, that with Love2D you can create this masterpiece! :neko:
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Short update before I go to bed: I've been working on more graphics. Behold, the hospital, the playground, and - my favourite - the pie-store! There's also a school, but it's not on this image.
Also, the first challenges are completed! I might get another full version out by this weekend.
In the meantime, there's some pretty fierce battles going on on the server between javra and jonyzz...

TheScriptan wrote:100 Comments! Btw this piece of work is just soooooooooooo amazing. I never fought, that with Love2D you can create this masterpiece! :neko:
Thanks! :D Yes, the Engine is great!
substitute541 wrote:Who made "somepic.someserver.de"? The name is just a bit hilarious.
I don't know the person personally... just his friend. But the image upload service is great. If only it would allow multiple images!
substitute541 wrote: Edit: Hehehehe....
You got me ^^
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Just noticed that AI phoenix's pathfinding algorithm is B* (Breath First Search or Best First Search). Ah, I'm having a hard time implementing A*... :P
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

substitute541 wrote:Just noticed that AI phoenix's pathfinding algorithm is B* (Breath First Search or Best First Search). Ah, I'm having a hard time implementing A*... :P
Speaking of which, I noticed that some implementations take too long to compute and are aborted during their search by my game. This usually happens with larger maps.
Any experience or thoughts on this? I can't give the AIs much more time to compute, otherwise it'll slow down the game much more. Or should I rather limit the maximum amount of trains and give more time to each train's computation instead? Or force players to do more pre-computation in ai.init (where they already have 10 times as much time)

Does any one have thoughts/ideas on this?
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
Germanunkol.de
jonyzz
Prole

Post by jonyzz »

substitute541 wrote:Just noticed that AI phoenix's pathfinding algorithm is B* (Breath First Search or Best First Search). Ah, I'm having a hard time implementing A*... :P
It is actually slightly modified Dijkstra's algorithm :).
Germanunkol wrote:Speaking of which, I noticed that some implementations take too long to compute and are aborted during their search by my game. This usually happens with larger maps.
Any experience or thoughts on this? I can't give the AIs much more time to compute, otherwise it'll slow down the game much more. Or should I rather limit the maximum amount of trains and give more time to each train's computation instead? Or force players to do more pre-computation in ai.init (where they already have 10 times as much time)

Does any one have thoughts/ideas on this?
What about function that returns percentage of time the AI used for computation. It could be used like this:

Code: Select all

while not pathfindingFinished and getAITimeUsage() < 0.95 do
  -- One step of algorithm
end
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

jonyzz wrote:
It is actually slightly modified Dijkstra's algorithm :).
... yep, that's why you always find the shortest distance (without using u-turns).
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

jonyzz wrote:

Code: Select all

while not pathfindingFinished and getAITimeUsage() < 0.95 do
  -- One step of algorithm
end
Awesome idea. Will think about this.
It's not "time" that I'm giving you, it's the number of "lua-code-lines" or something like that. Otherwise, the AI would have less time on different PCs - and since my server is a Raspberry Pi and is slower than most average Computers, the AI would run on users' PCs but not on the server...
But still, a function like getLinesLeft() would be quite useful!
Germanunkol.de
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Modified the Graphics and added Challenge maps!
Image Image
Added buildings (all hotspots): Store, Cinema, Hospital, School, Playground

Added a new Region Setting: "Urban"!
Image Image
In this region, there's a lot more passengers. This means that if you use the "Rushhour" gamemode on an "Urban" Map, you'll have tons and tons of VIPS...
Germanunkol.de
TheScriptan
Citizen

Post by TheScriptan »

Are you making this all by yourself??? :ultrashocked:
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

can i suggest a scaling function? Please.