Hesitate to come back on Love2D

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Koeba
Prole

Re: Hesitate to come back on Love2D

Post by Koeba »

Rigachupe wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:47 pm Stay with love2D is my option.
That a pretty good option tbh
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

I also did play around with the idea and spent few months learning C++, Lua and SDL with the intention to make my own engine and better understand how Love2D works under the hood.

But I come to realise that, it doesn't really give me any advantage because if there is anything I can not do in Love2D, very likely I lack the skills to do it in C++ and SDL anyway. The few months I spent with C++ and SDL was very informative but I made the final decision to stick with Love2D. It is an amazing framework, it has everything I need to create literally anything I want. Maybe some of the libs are not as polished and complete as I wish and Lua also has its limitations but for my educational experiments and hobby projects Love2D is perfect.

If I ever make anything decent that could benefit from low level programming in C++, then I can consider to make an other attempt at it but until then Love2D is just perfect.
vilonis
Prole

Post by vilonis »

You absolutely do not have to use classes or OOP in Love2D. In fact, in my game, I don’t use any classes at all, just tables and functions. I generally dislike OOP. It is an okay system for code organization, but makes it really difficult to track object lifecycles in my experience.

So just write your Lua like you’re writing C, with “structs” (tables with an expected shape) and functions, but with all the higher level conveniences of Lua, like not having to manage memory manually, having built in lists/maps (both in the form of tables), and the higher level abstractions that Love2D offers compared to SDL.