DEFract 0.5 - 3D fractal explorer. Now with GUI!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: DEFract 0.2 - A 3D fractal explorer

Post by kikito »

At first I thought it didn't work on my machine (black screen), but then I tried to move the mouse around and I saw the fractal. Ubuntu with nvidia.
When I write def I mean function.
mickeyjm
Party member

Post by mickeyjm »

i HATE canvases :x I cant use this with because of them
Your screen is very zoomed in...
Patalo
Prole

Post by Patalo »

Well, when I said I wasn't sure it'll work for everyone ^^
So, what's uncool is that nobody got the same problem. The thing is that I only tested it on NVidia-powered computer (win and linux). And it seems that NVidia is much more tolerant to bad code...
Boolsheet wrote:Yeah, there's the issue at render.lua:33: Usage of uninitialized value 'i'.
Thanks, that was a big one! And probably the source of a lot of problems.
coffee wrote:Very beautiful math art. Unfortunately for me gives error: error in fractal code, cannot compile shader error 0:26 constant integer overflow. Perhaps too much for my DuoCore only machine.
Well, I don't have any integer constant. Maybe that was the unitialized "i".

For the graphical driver failures of TechnoCat and veethree, and jradich's crash, I hope that Boolsheet's correction will make it better, but be careful, you are running bugged code on your graphical card :x .
Jasoco wrote:I just get a black screen in 0.8.0. Pressing space does show the information. But nothing renders.
Did you try to look around, or press tab to try another fractal? Sometimes you are just looking at the void. (Just as kikito on the next post).
ishkabible wrote:this is amazing! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back the this community.
josefnpat wrote:Ran like a dog in heat in linux. Fantastic!
Thanks, that's cool to hear! :awesome:
Here is a gif I forgot in the first post :
1L7fa.gif
1L7fa.gif (1.59 MiB) Viewed 619 times
mickeyjm wrote:i HATE canvases :x I cant use this with because of them
Sorry to hear that. I will try to make a canvas-free version (but it's really useful here, without it I barely can do anything on my computer while DEFract is running...)

So, here is v0.3 wich include the uninitialized variable correction, some corrections that could make it run with ATI cards and a simplification of the way fractal's animation is detected. Talking of this, is there any way to detect if a variable exists in a pixeleffect? (currently, I try to send "time" in a pcall and catch the error...) I hope it will make it run for more people.
Attachments
defract.love
v0.3 - bugfixes
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Current project : 3D fractal explorer DEFract ( viewtopic.php?t=9193)
Github : https://github.com/plule/ | Twitter : http://twitter.com/plule_
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: DEFract 0.3 - A 3D fractal explorer

Post by Robin »

On my computer it works (Linux, with a reasonably crappy laptop), although very, very slowly (about 1-5 FPS).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Patalo wrote:Talking of this, is there any way to detect if a variable exists in a pixeleffect? (currently, I try to send "time" in a pcall and catch the error...) I hope it will make it run for more people.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you can simply initialize your uniform variable with a number, like: uniform float time = 0.0; (or extern number time = 0.0;).
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

Still same error with me, however no blue screen. Also I get a weird rendering of font as show here:
font.png
Patalo
Prole

Post by Patalo »

coffee wrote:Still same error with me, however no blue screen. Also I get a weird rendering of font as show here:
Hey I think I got it ! Please test with the attachment. (I hope you don't mind being exploited as alpha tester :P ) And don't worry for the weird rendering font, it's because I catch the errors in the fractals' code so the application don't quit.
If it still doesn't work, you still can try another fractal by pressing 'tab', the error seems to be in the first fractal code.
Robin wrote:On my computer it works (Linux, with a reasonably crappy laptop), although very, very slowly (about 1-5 FPS).
You can lower the quality by scrolling down. Also, try not to look at the void, it's the worst case. Go inside a fractal (like the mandelbox, it has some predefined inside views you can access with 'return' key).
slime wrote: If I'm understanding you correctly, you can simply initialize your uniform variable with a number, like: uniform float time = 0.0; (or extern number time = 0.0;).
Yeah, that would be exactly that kind of fix, but the problem is that with not animated fractals, this variable "time" is not used, and I guess the compiler delete it. So even by initializing it, I get the error «Cannot get location of shader variable `time'.» when I try to send it. I think I will switch to a simple boolean in the .lua file describing the fractal. This is far more simple than all I've currently tried.
Attachments
defract.love
v0.3.1
(11.79 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Current project : 3D fractal explorer DEFract ( viewtopic.php?t=9193)
Github : https://github.com/plule/ | Twitter : http://twitter.com/plule_
10$man
Citizen

Post by 10$man »

Darn Canvases :death:

This looks really impressive though! I'm about to go do some research on this :D
richapple
Citizen

Post by richapple »

Ran it on my WinXP low-medium level machine. Too sad that it can only run at < 1 FPS but it looks very very beautiful

How is it rendered (raytracing, something else)?
Also can we know your beast's specs that you ran it on?

I just looked at your code and I'm very curious because you made something similar that I tried to do. it's going to be a great learning resource
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

You did it. It runs now well enough and with decent speed. Beautiful images thank you.
Travel inside that cube structure should be like Luke Skywalker dived in Death Star. :D
Isn't missing a FPS in "space" debug key?