love.graphics.print doesn't do anything

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Wscb
Prole

Re: love.graphics.print doesn't do anything

Post by Wscb »

I downloaded version 0.10.2 and it seems to be working correctly. That's good enough for one game, I guess. Does it also require opengl 2.1? I don't want to run into a problem mid-development.
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

Ah crap this is probably related to the bug in version 11.0?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=85051&start=20#p219603

This was patched by slime and can be downloaded from his apveyor account in that post. I think this hasn't been published on the front page yet.

Try that out, if it works then we know whats up.

But I know there is a reference in the version notes for 11.0 that opengl requirements have changed.

It also occurs to me that your current drivers for your g-card may support a higher version of opengl, such as 2.1, which might explain something?

I just tried this application out:

http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview

It needs .net 4.0 to run and shows your graphics renderer and the opengl version that your system supports.
Last edited by drunken_munki on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

If it is, then apparently it wasn't just canvases that were affected, but font rendering as well; people just assumed since the test cases utilized canvases anyway, and if those don't show anything, the printed text wouldn't show up either...
drunken_munki wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:05 am But I know there is a reference in the version notes for 11.0 that opengl requirements have changed.
You mean this line?
wiki wrote: Added per-Shader opt in support for the GLSL 3.30 and GLSL ES 3.00 shading languages.
That's still an opt-in thing, meaning it's not mandatory.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
drunken_munki
Party member

Post by drunken_munki »

zorg wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:09 am If it is, then apparently it wasn't just canvases that were affected, but font rendering as well; people just assumed since the test cases utilized canvases anyway, and if those don't show anything, the printed text wouldn't show up either...
drunken_munki wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:05 am But I know there is a reference in the version notes for 11.0 that opengl requirements have changed.
You mean this line?
wiki wrote: Added per-Shader opt in support for the GLSL 3.30 and GLSL ES 3.00 shading languages.
That's still an opt-in thing, meaning it's not mandatory.

I think it was "Updated love.graphics to support Core Profile OpenGL 3.3+ when available."
Though I have no idea what this means :D

Doing some digging on the web:

"OpenGL(R) 3.0 introduced the concept of deprecation. A whole bunch of functionallity that can be implemented in software on either the CPU side or in shaders got marked for removal in future versions (i.e. 3.1).

Core profile means OpenGL(R) minus the deprecated functions, compatibillity profile means OpenGL(R) with the deprecated functions. The word compatibillity is meant in regard to older software, not older hardware. (CAD vendors didn't want to rewrite their decade old cruft)"

So what does 'when available' mean in the patch notes, and is this working correctly? If it is, and Love is falling to compatibility-profile (2.1) then I got nothing.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

In short, "Updated love.graphics to support Core Profile OpenGL 3.3+ when available." means that if the GPU supports OpenGL 3.3, then löve will use it, otherwise it will use 2.1; all those core and compatibility profiles are things a löve user shouldn't worry too much about. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Wscb
Prole

Post by Wscb »

drunken_munki wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:05 amviewtopic.php?f=3&t=85051&start=20#p219603

This was patched by slime and can be downloaded from his apveyor account in that post. I think this hasn't been published on the front page yet.

Try that out, if it works then we know whats up.
Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue either. :(
drunken_munki wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:05 am It also occurs to me that your current drivers for your g-card may support a higher version of opengl, such as 2.1, which might explain something?

I just tried this application out:

http://realtech-vr.com/admin/glview

It needs .net 4.0 to run and shows your graphics renderer and the opengl version that your system supports.
I ran the application and under the OpenGL section of the summary it says: "version: 3.3". Does that actually mean my hardware can support version 3.3?