How YOU've learned OOP ? Best way to do so. ?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Re: How YOU've learned OOP ? Best way to do so. ?

Post by Taehl »

Also, keep in mind that you don't have to (if you'll pardon the expression) go balls-to-the-wall full-on OO if you don't want to. When I do use OO in my games, I've noticed that I tend to gravitate towards having the innermost loops and other critical stuff in procedural style, then drift towards OO as I go "up" from the "ground". Then again, this may be a bad habit on my part, since other languages aren't as wonderfully flexible as Lua...
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Larsii30
Party member

Post by Larsii30 »

I have to say, that I still trying out things and search for 'my' way to do things.
Atm, all these classes and inherit things are confusing for me. :D

I just want to program more systematic, so that I don't have to copy-paste whole functions or declare variables for any kind of game content.
And thats the point I say, I have to learn OOP.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

I learned OO in school using Java. Taking a basic course in OO is a good idea, you get a good idea of how to structure a program decently. Still, it really comes with experience.

With lua and LÖVE, you don't need OO very much but it can save a lot of time and frustration. Make sure you at least learn the basics.
ZacharySciApps
Prole

Post by ZacharySciApps »

Start learning java! Its very simple, Think of a Object-Orientated Language like this it has a behavior(Method) and a state(field), get started with graphical user interfaces thand 2d graphics and sound finally networking :)
minism
Prole

Post by minism »

kraftman wrote:Also have a read of this.
After programming for a few years and coming to learn lua, this was actually one of the clearer overviews of OOP. I definitely recommend reading this chapter.