Why is LÖVE called LÖVE?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Re: Why is LÖVE called LÖVE?

Post by T-Bone »

Robin wrote:I remember something like that if you pronounce LÖVE in Swedish, it would sound like Norwegian løve, which means "lion", and rude (blessed be his name) thought that was funny.

As for suggestive library names, AFAIK that practice started as recent as 2009 with SECS, and it was mostly bartbes' shtick, especially in the beginning.
While it doesn't really mean anything in Swedish, the "Swedish" (or rather, the "Swenglish" as we like to call it) pronounciation of the "ö" character in the word LÖVE makes it sound quite similar to how you'd normally say "love" in English, and with a stronger emphasis on the "o"/"ö". It's kind of like how you'd pronounce something written like "luuurv".
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Robin wrote:I remember something like that if you pronounce LÖVE in Swedish, it would sound like Norwegian løve, which means "lion", and rude (blessed be his name) thought that was funny.
I think you confused swedish/norwegian with german?
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

bartbes wrote:I think you confused swedish/norwegian with german?
In both languages the word for lion sounds like "löve" when pronounced swedish.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

T-Bone wrote:

As for suggestive library names, AFAIK that practice started as recent as 2009 with SECS, and it was mostly bartbes' shtick, especially in the beginning.
While it doesn't really mean anything in Swedish, the "Swedish" (or rather, the "Swenglish" as we like to call it) pronounciation of the "ö" character in the word LÖVE makes it sound quite similar to how you'd normally say "love" in English, and with a stronger emphasis on the "o"/"ö". It's kind of like how you'd pronounce something written like "luuurv".
I've always heard that the "ö" (at least in this sort of case) is pronounced like the "i" in "bird" or the "u" in "church."
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Eamonn wrote:Why is LÖVE called LÖVE? Because of it's LÖVEly community? Because the framework is LÖVEly? Does it stand for something? I've been meaning to ask this for ages. You could use this argument for many things, like Lua; Why was it called Lua? Same goes for Python, C, etc. The story behind Java was hilarious! If you don't know it here's a very quick and dirty explanation of it:

These people were pitching their programming language to a company, but forgot to name it. They looked about and saw a café serving 'Java'. So they called it Java and the name stuck.

That was really a pointless thing but maybe some of you'll get a kick out of it. Anyway, back to the point: Why is LÖVE called LÖVE?
the forum part of the community is lovely but not the IRC :3

but the engine is also very good and lovely (except love.filesystem)
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

i would have called the engine Bartbes2D :ultraglee:
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

jjmafiae wrote:i would have called the engine Bartbes2D :ultraglee:
Rude2D...?
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

micha wrote:
in danish lion is løve
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

jjmafiae wrote:
micha wrote:
in danish lion is løve
Image :crazy:
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
NoelBriggs
Prole

Post by NoelBriggs »

Eamonn wrote:Why is LÖVE called LÖVE? Because of it's LÖVEly community? Because the framework is LÖVEly? Does it stand for something? I've been meaning to ask this for ages. You could use this argument for many things, like Lua; Why was it called Lua? Same goes for Python, C, etc. The story behind led light was hilarious! If you don't know it here's a very quick and dirty explanation of it:

These people were pitching their programming language to a company, but forgot to name it. They looked about and saw a café serving 'Java'. So they called it Java and the name stuck.

That was really a pointless thing but maybe some of you'll get a kick out of it. Anyway, back to the point: Why is LÖVE called LÖVE?
There is no such reason.. But there is no another word better than love to describe it..
Last edited by NoelBriggs on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.