The Image Effect Giver

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Ancurio
Prole

Re: The Image Effect Giver

Post by Ancurio »

kraftman wrote:I've started converting your code to use shaders just to see how much quicker it'd be.
There's only a couple atm, I'll add a few more later.

Obviously this needs 0.8+ to run
Wow, this speed is awesome! Just cloned the latest 0.8 source and built it just to test this,
I'm speechless..

btw., reading the changelog, I didn't see any mention of "shaders", were they already added earlier or are
they simply known under a different name?
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

but when we have shaders what is then the use of Imagedata:MapPixel(function)?
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

Ancurio wrote: btw., reading the changelog, I didn't see any mention of "shaders", were they already added earlier or are
they simply known under a different name?
The LÖVEly name for them is "PixelEffects"
GijsB wrote:but when we have shaders what is then the use of Imagedata:MapPixel(function)?
mapPixel can still be used for one-time image modification, or generating data from an image (tiled maps using an image for reference, like Notch likes to do things)

Also, not all platforms support PixelEffects.
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

thelinx wrote: mapPixel can still be used for one-time image modification, or generating data from an image (tiled maps using an image for reference, like Notch likes to do things)

But for that we have Qauds..
thelinx
The Strongest

Post by thelinx »

GijsB wrote:
thelinx wrote: mapPixel can still be used for one-time image modification, or generating data from an image (tiled maps using an image for reference, like Notch likes to do things)

But for that we have Qauds..
No, I mean making an image to show where tiles are located, then loading that image and putting the data in a table.
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

GijsB wrote:but when we have shaders what is then the use of Imagedata:MapPixel(function)?

Shaders are fast and so are useful for applying effects per frame, but kind of overkill for one-off changes to an image.
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

If I am not mistaken, output of the shaders goes directly to the screen, you can not save your modified image. With :MapPixel() you can.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
kraftman
Party member

Post by kraftman »

miko wrote:
If I am not mistaken, output of the shaders goes directly to the screen, you can not save your modified image. With :MapPixel() you can.
You can draw to a Canvas/Framebuffer with a shader though.
The Burrito
Party member

Post by The Burrito »

mapPixel pretty much works on all computers, shaders and framebuffers do not (although usually framebuffers just have nonPo2 issues).
kraftman wrote:
miko wrote:
You can draw to a Canvas/Framebuffer with a shader though.
framebuffers are not really intended for long term storage, I would definitely avoid using them for calculate once kind of things, especially if you need to make a lot of them.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The Burrito wrote:framebuffers are not really intended for long term storage, I would definitely avoid using them for calculate once kind of things, especially if you need to make a lot of them.
Explain.