Mr. BallGuy V1.0.0

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Eamonn
Party member

Re: ***Mr. BallGuy V1.1.0 BETA***

Post by Eamonn »

roggie12 wrote:Your game is awesome!!!!!
But when i die more then 2 times and try to restart it, it just goes to the game over menu
This is a known issue. I thought I fixed it!!! Darn! Will try to fix vor V2.0.0 BETA! Thanks for the feedback!
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Hm, the game seems rather unstable. It often hangs and seems to go into game over despite not touching anything.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Plu wrote:Hm, the game seems rather unstable. It often hangs and seems to go into game over despite not touching anything.
Multipul people have reported this, but I have never experienced it myself. This is really strange! I am sorry, I'm trying hard to fix these issues. I think it might be down to computer specs. My machine is no beast, but the machine's the people that have given me reports on have 1GB of RAM or less. If you want to take a look inside the code and see if you can figure out what's causing it be my guest!
BulbaMander
Citizen

Re: ***Mr. BallGuy V1.9.9 BETA***

Post by BulbaMander »

I actually had a lot of fun playing this. Like a whole lot. I dont know why. My second time playing it hung for no reason and I had to sigkill love. BUT other than that nice job good work you've made you're country proud. :cool:
It takes an idiot to do cool things. Thats why they're cool. :emo:
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

BulbaMander wrote:I actually had a lot of fun playing this. Like a whole lot. I dont know why. My second time playing it hung for no reason and I had to sigkill love. BUT other than that nice job good work you've made you're country proud. :cool:
Thank you! Glad you had fun! I really don't know why that happens. Sorry for that :( I am working my butt off to fix it though! I'm putting a lot of time and effort into this. Been working on it since Thursday 23rd May(I did the whole date for future people coming and seeing it). V2.0.0 BETA should have this fixed(even though I don't know what's causing the problem yet. I bet it's a memory leak somewhere). Glad you enjoyed! Any piece of thanks/suggestions really motivates me to work on this! Now back to fixing the hanging problem!

Oh wait! I nearly forgot! When you say your second time playing, do you mean play the game once and replay or play the game, close the game and reopen it? I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue ASAP!
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Hey, nice to meet you. Welcome to love2d and I'd just like to say that nobody will steal your code over here. In fact, it's preferred if you actually released your code when learning so people who want to help you can help you.

Some constructive criticsm:
Your game isn't very fun, it get's to a point it's just impossible to play. I know you worked hard on it, and since it is your first game I give you plenty of cookies for a great first game.
Taking a look into the code (that's what we do), it's perfectly indented (I tend to rage at people who don't indent their code), but:
Image. This is just what.
Try replacing that code with this:

Code: Select all

if object.speed >= 250 then
	local level = ((object.speed-250)/50)+1
	if math.floor(level) == level then
		player.level = level
	end
end
(tested)

In this code, it checks if the speed is above 250. If it is, it does some maths calculations. First it takes away 250 from the level, divides it by 50 so that you get number of 50's in speed-250 for example which is 5 if speed is 500. Now we add one level to that, because 250-250/50 = 0 and it should be one level. Then we check if it's a decimal (you can remove the fourth line which checks it)
Math.floor ROUNDS DOWN the number (math.ceil [ceiling] rounds up), comparing the normal number to the rounded number. if the rounded number and normal number and the same that means it didn't have to be rounded because it was a whole number. So in this case we set the level.

I would go on about the extensive usage of if, elseif, else but since you're new I'll leave you alone about that.
Also, don't have this much music omg. People aren't going to stay at the menu for 4 minutes, cut it down and use a looping song. Also each menu or state doesn't need it's own song :)
Here is the modified .love (with music removed for all but the game because i cant upload this much): http://cl.ly/PHZT

Otherwise, not too bad.
Lua is not an acronym.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

qaisjp wrote:

player.level = level
	end
end
(tested)
How about..

if object.speed >= 250 and object.speed % 50 == 0 then
    player.level = player.level + 1
end
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

qaisjp wrote:Hey, nice to meet you. Welcome to love2d and I'd just like to say that nobody will steal your code over here. In fact, it's preferred if you actually released your code when learning so people who want to help you can help you.

Some constructive criticsm:
Your game isn't very fun, it get's to a point it's just impossible to play. I know you worked hard on it, and since it is your first game I give you plenty of cookies for a great first game.
Taking a look into the code (that's what we do), it's perfectly indented (I tend to rage at people who don't indent their code), but:
Image. This is just what.
Try replacing that code with this:

player.level = level
	end
end
(tested)

In this code, it checks if the speed is above 250. If it is, it does some maths calculations. First it takes away 250 from the level, divides it by 50 so that you get number of 50's in speed-250 for example which is 5 if speed is 500. Now we add one level to that, because 250-250/50 = 0 and it should be one level. Then we check if it's a decimal (you can remove the fourth line which checks it)
Math.floor ROUNDS DOWN the number (math.ceil [ceiling] rounds up), comparing the normal number to the rounded number. if the rounded number and normal number and the same that means it didn't have to be rounded because it was a whole number. So in this case we set the level.

I would go on about the extensive usage of if, elseif, else but since you're new I'll leave you alone about that.
Also, don't have this much music omg. People aren't going to stay at the menu for 4 minutes, cut it down and use a looping song. Also each menu or state doesn't need it's own song :)
Here is the modified .love (with music removed for all but the game because i cant upload this much): http://cl.ly/PHZT

Otherwise, not too bad.
Thanks for the tips! I am working to even it out, and the game wasn't even originally meant to be a game. It started out as me adding sprites. That's one of reasons that the jumping is still in there. I remember I released the source of my Ruby Gosu games and every single one got copied. The games were really just tests but still I didn't like that. Thanks for all of your advice.

The music was got online. I just wanted to have some indication that you were on the start menu and such. So it's a good first game? I just added and added to it until it was in a semi-good state. The balls did go to fast, and I actually fixed this in V2.0.0, which is not released yet. I want to get this game done and then work on another game and hopefully build upon that using my knowledge I've gotten from the people here!

Also, I to rage at unindented code. I know a few people that lay out code REALLY BADLY! Like they'd make a function like this:

function blah()
    -- Code here
end
function blah2()
    -- This is so annoying >:(
end
Anyway, I can't expect to make an amazing game the first time around, right?
bartbes wrote:
qaisjp wrote:

player.level = level
	end
end
(tested)
How about..

end
If it does the same thing and it's shorter then sure, I'll use that :D
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

bartbes wrote:
qaisjp wrote:

player.level = level
	end
end
(tested)
How about..

end
im not great at using %, but thx ^_^
Lua is not an acronym.
Eamonn
Party member

Re: Mr. BallGuy V2.0.0 BETA

Post by Eamonn »

V2.0.0 released! All known bugs squished and some new features. I would have liked to have had more but I'm sick ATM. Leave your feedback and tell me if you think it's getting better! Thanks!