Mac OS X Lion Feature Support

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
bartbes
Sex machine

Re: Mac OS X Lion Feature Support

Post by bartbes »

If they wanted it to work straight away for everything, they would've done it in a compatible way, it takes some time for everything to catch up.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

T-Bone wrote:But we're talking about games here. When you play games on your computer, it's very common for them to do fullscreen "the Old Way". If you were to play a "serious" game, say Portal 2, on OSX Lion, would it not use "the Old Way" as well?
I remember the original Halo for Mac OS X let me cmd-tab while it was running in fullscreen, I was very appreciative.
Camoy
Prole

Post by Camoy »

slime wrote: I remember the original Halo for Mac OS X let me cmd-tab while it was running in fullscreen, I was very appreciative.
Valve games work the same way, VERY convenient.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Jasoco wrote: [...]
In Lion, "fullscreen" apps are first-class citizens now. You put an app in fullscreen, and you don't have to leave it to switch to another app. It gets its own space and can be switched between via a swipe of four fingers on your Magic Trackpad.
[...]
(Disclaimer: I have no mac) Isn't there a "keyboard command" for switching apps in mac? Maybe Cmd-tab, or something? Does that work?

If that works, that means that the issue might not be on the "fullscreen" code, but on the "grab the mouse" code. Or maybe it's the integration between the two.
When I write def I mean function.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Yes it's Cmd+Tab. But no it wouldn't be that, OS X handles the gestures itself. The real problem is that they don't appear in their own space, they just go over the top of everything (that would probably sound confusing if you don't know much about Macs, lol).
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

The problem is Löve handles Fullscreen the same way MineCraft does. The app becomes highest priority and disallows you from switching to another app without leaving fullscreen. Which means if MineCraft freezes, which it has, it renders the computer unusable with no way to kill the process. Löve works the same way. And believe me, I've had problems with fullscreen freezing in Löve and Command+Q not working anymore so I couldn't even quit it.

All I'd settle for is Löve not taking over the system. OS X is supposed to be stable. But when I can't even force quit the process covering the desktop forcing me to hard shut down, it's pretty frustrating.