Why isn't there a proper (non tile based) 2d editor?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Why isn't there a proper (non tile based) 2d editor?

Post by Lafolie »

There are proper editors. Thing is, they're not specifically 'level editors', but content editors, created to generate specific structures for specific games. A generic editor would be bad, as it would inherently require menial setup and configuration for each game. While it may excel at some features, forming a proper workflow, effectively using time, and integrating properly would require so much tweaking and tinkering that it's probably just a better idea to knock-up some hacky tools of your own to do the job for you.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Another good point by Lafoile. When making a game, you're going to be spending a long time working with the editor so the more custom tailored to your game it is, the better. So if the editor saves you 1 or 2 steps that adds up to a lot of work in the long haul.
mode7
Prole

Post by mode7 »

Okay I see the point there. Especially for such an editor, i see that the objects you are placing are really required to be supported by the game. Thats the problem I'm currently having with gleed2d having more functionality than i need on one side and missing some other on the other. Also I think especially for such a game it's important to have the map in the editor rendered bythe same engine as in the game. Yet, coding an editor seems really quite a though task as seems gui coding in general. I'll have another look at love frames anyway.