Erös Alpha Version 0.0.2.1

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
tentus
Inner party member

Re: L Builder Design View

Post by tentus »

The problem is that you don't use enough punctuation. Break individual ideas into single sentence, with appropriate use of commas, and you become much easier to understand. For example:
But like I said before I want to make sure I offer the right option to the end user a true/false option change just needs a double click change but
a string opiton will need a input option so they can input there options and by default I was thinking to set this to the programs name.
Should be:
But, like I said before, I want to make sure I offer the right option to the end user. A true/false option just needs a double click change, but
a string will need an input option, so that they can input their options. I was thinking about defaulting this to the program's name.
Also, really try and use synonyms. The same word ten times repeatedly is less effective than three synonymous words used in sequence.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

crow wrote:OK my sig says I am dyslexic can you respect that and explain what you don't understand, just saying I don't understand does not helpe I have read what I put
and I can't see what you would not understand.
I know what it's like, my brother is dyslexic too. Interesting that you like programming (I assume). My brother can't stand all the reading required for that.
crow wrote:If you could please try and tell me what you don't understand I can then explain myself better :neko:

I don't mean to be rude or anything but people say this all the time and never explain what they don't understand.
Fair enough.

I'd like you to use shorter sentences. You make your sentences rather long, which tends to be distracting. The less words, the clearer the meaning. Using more punctuation would also help.

And spelling. I know it can be hard, but browsers like Firefox and Chrome put wiggly lines under misspelled words and offer suggestions. Less typos means better understanding.

Effective communication is an important skill in life and I hope I can help you improve.

(ninja'd, tentus also provided valid advice.)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

The shouter sentences, sure I can try that out.

Spell checker well problem with them is not that they don't pick up on the selling but I have no idea
witch one is right. But it did not come up with any big spellings on the last posts :)

But yes I sure can try make the shouter and thanks for understanding I was not trying to be rude.

I have been a computer geek since I was about 6 I can program in lua as is very logical with its symtex's
I can't get my head around C++ that gets me really upset. :neko:

@ Tentus
Could you try reword this please for me I unable to read it, it's just not clicking in my head.
Also, really try and use synonyms. The same word ten times repeatedly is less effective than three synonymous words used in sequence.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

crow wrote: @ Tentus
Could you try reword this please for me I unable to read it, it's just not clicking in my head.
Sure, no problem. Try to use several different words that all describe the same idea, instead of just using one. By using multiple words, it's more likely that people will understand what you are trying to say.

As an example, I used a variety of words in this post to communicate the idea of synonyms. Same idea, different words.

Don't worry about being dyslexic: my boss has a strong case of dyslexia, but she works at it and we work at it too, and in the end we meet in the middle. :) It's a sign of a good community.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Ar, now I understand, sure I will try keep that in mind. I have felt very welcomed here and happy to be around so many nice people :neko:
What do you think the best way to get people to throw a few ideas around?

I am just setting the menu to load all the setting from the project file I have already got a few of them working and changing the project
file.

For add'on scripts I have thought about adding the scripts in a script folder to keep it uniform, what will be best way to call them. Would it be as a script lib and including them in header of the main file or part of a main function as a dofile action or should I just leave the end use to include/request/dofile themself and just include the scripts in the scripting folder?

I started to slow down with the project as I was making silly bugs that was made because I was tired or rushing lol and the build and run icons don't
really work anyone got any ideas what they could be or want to donate some of there own work to the app for these buttons buttons?

Also does LOVE have http access for leader boards and online user functions or do you have to include the whole sockets libs? The windows wrap I
use includes http and maybe I could make a tool that could include some useful 3ed party commands and add a leader board action, depending on how
we are able to talk to the love.exe, I have read that there is a function that can run exe files but does that have a callback to LOVE?

All ideas right now the L Builder still comes first :)

I really wish I new C++ so be able to understand LOVE on a coding level but I don't lol what functions in love are note lua that are just true c++ I guess
the window size, key commands mouse/joystick are all C++ functions or am I wrong?
Sir Kittenface

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

crow wrote:What do you think the best way to get people to throw a few ideas around?
For this project? Not sure. Many forum regulars here aren't Windows users, so we can't really try it out.
crow wrote:Fthe build and run icons don't really work anyone got any ideas what they could be or want to donate some of there own work to the app for these buttons buttons?
I would suggest using a single icon theme for everything, to make it less ugly. Free (as in beer as well as in freedom) icon themes are pretty common. The FamFamFam icons are very popular. Just google for "free web app icons" (there are plenty of blog posts about this) and you'll find droves of them.
crow wrote:Also does LOVE have http access for leader boards and online user functions or do you have to include the whole sockets libs?
Luasocket is included with Löve.
crow wrote:I have read that there is a function that can run exe files but does that have a callback to LOVE?
That's a regular Lua function. io.execute
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

nevon wrote:
crow wrote:Also does LOVE have http access for leader boards and online user functions or do you have to include the whole sockets libs?
Luasocket is included with Löve.

Code: Select all

require "luasocket"
in the main.lua is enough to use it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

nevon wrote: That's a regular Lua function. io.execute
os.execute, or io.popen if you want input or output.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Wow thanks for the reply's guys, so I just add request for sockets and sockets would be included ?

Well if sockets are already there when its not something I have to add long as it was there :)
I might add a 2 or 3 icon themes , I have used that site before for a project and they are nice so I might
also include one of there styles :).

I just know them 2 icons I have for building and running just don't go lol

Thanks for the helpful reply's I better get to work, also this should work in crossover on MAC and Wine on Linux.
I can test on linux at a later stage but my iMac is only 10.4.11 and crossover no longer supports my OS.
If anyone could make a exe that build for mac and linux as they know how its meant to build for them 2 I could
also then include them OS's for building but the editor and building to .love will be possible on os's well should be
anyway, just need emulation.
Sir Kittenface

nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

bartbes wrote:
nevon wrote: That's a regular Lua function. io.execute
os.execute, or io.popen if you want input or output.
Right.I got the two mixed up. I'm on my phone, so I didn't bother to check.