upgrade to lua 5.2 already

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Xgoff
Party member

Re: upgrade to lua 5.2 already

Post by Xgoff »

Jasoco wrote:So are there drawbacks to switching to LuaJIT instead of Lua 5.2? I love the speed boost LuaJIT gives us.
nope :>
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Then at what point is LuaJIT going to be incorporated into the release version of Löve instead of being a separate version? 0.8.1 or 0.9.0? (Or beyond... sometime in 2026.)
conroy
Prole

Post by conroy »

I would love for LuaJIT to be used in the next version (along with OpenAL soft on OS X)
Inny
Party member

Post by Inny »

Jasoco wrote:Then at what point is LuaJIT going to be incorporated into the release version of Löve instead of being a separate version? 0.8.1 or 0.9.0? (Or beyond... sometime in 2026.)
It kind of already is. I'm looking at the build files in love2d's source (here) and I see build instructions for luajit. You have to build it yourself, and that's the linux version, I don't know about the windows or mac versions. I don't know if this work is considered complete or bugfree.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Inny wrote:
Jasoco wrote:Then at what point is LuaJIT going to be incorporated into the release version of Löve instead of being a separate version? 0.8.1 or 0.9.0? (Or beyond... sometime in 2026.)
It kind of already is. I'm looking at the build files in love2d's source (here) and I see build instructions for luajit. You have to build it yourself, and that's the linux version, I don't know about the windows or mac versions. I don't know if this work is considered complete or bugfree.
LÖVE's linux build script has been able to optionally use LuaJIT for many versions now.

Only the developers know if/when LuaJIT will be included in LÖVE by default, if they know at all.