-

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
TheScriptan
Citizen

-

Post by TheScriptan »

-
Last edited by TheScriptan on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Inny
Party member

Re: Games To Create First?

Post by Inny »

There's a lot of extremely simple games that make a first attempt. Pong, Spacewar, Breakout (or Arkanoid), Frogger, Asteroids, Pacman.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Start out with a maze game. (Not a generator but just a maze game)
Check out the tutorials on the wiki: http://www.love2d.org/wiki/Category:Tutorials
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
TheScriptan
Citizen

Post by TheScriptan »

-
Last edited by TheScriptan on Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hexenhammer
Party member

Post by Hexenhammer »

The very first "game" is usually "Guess the number". You only need to understand the very basics of conditionals and looping for that. Oh and basic text input/output. Unfortunately, LÖVE comes without a text input function and coding one yourself is not a task for a total beginner.

Next up the ladder would be "Hangman". That should actually work nicely with LÖVE. You can just draw all letters on screen and let the player click on them to select them.

After that, something with moving entities and collision I guess e.g. these "Snake" games (you control a snake which eats stuff and has to avoid colliding with itself, walls, enemies.. the snake may also get longer every time it eats something)

You should make up your mind whether you want to make turn-based strategy games or real-time action games though, and focus your learning accordingly.

The "Snake" game is good if you want to go down the real-time action road. If you want turn-based strategy I suggest implementing a simple boardgame instead e.g. chess. Note that you don't have to invent your own chess AI. Just do a websearch, there are simple algorithms which will do the trick.

After that you are ready for your dream project I think.
TheScriptan
Citizen

Post by TheScriptan »

HexenHammer, that was very describing everything, what i wanted, it's sad, that Love2D forums don't have thumbs up stuff :(, but anyways thank you very much! :awesome:
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

We used to have Karma, but the plugin broke when the forum updated. It used to be given out sparingly though, usually to just people who helped you.
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

A Space Invaders or Galaga type game would be a pretty good option, though perhaps better as a second game. Making a Space Invaders type game would help you learn things like collisions (without having to worry about icky tile collisions or anything else too complex), creating and managing multiple instances of objects/monsters and bullets, score and life systems, game states, etc..., all while still being fairly simple. Best of all, it's the type of game that's easy (and fun!) to expand on and experiment with.
TheScriptan wrote:HexenHammer, that was very describing everything, what i wanted, it's sad, that Love2D forums don't have thumbs up stuff :(, but anyways thank you very much! :awesome:
Yeah, I became quite used to "liking" posts at TheDaftClub, so I'd love this sort of feature. There it doesn't affect a karma stat or ranking or anything...it's more a casual nod to the post, just like Facebook's "Like" or Google+'s "+1". Then again, that forum has a notification system (a la Facebook, though less advanced) which makes things like that more significant.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Snake is a great game to start off with. Not only does it cover many common game-related programming tasks (input, score counting, etc. perhaps even file io for a highscore table), it also helps understanding data structures and creative solutions. For example, how you make the snake grow each time you eat a block can be challenging for a beginner, but is simple enough at the same time.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.