The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
spynaz
Party member

Re: The Legendary Empires MMORPG project

Post by spynaz »

I can create the game. I'm just learning how to make it work with WebGl and luasocket because this is my first time doing these things. But fine I'll start with something small like you guys said, and gain experience.
Pash
Prole

Post by Pash »

A socket in networking terms involves an IP and a port number (TCP or UDP), so yes, you need an IP to make luasocket to work. (if that was your question, sorry, it was worded poorly though)

Its true, if you use the webgl implementation of love2d and host the game on an publicly accessible web server, this will be playable by anybody in the world. However, as Robin and others have stated here, that doesnt make it multiplayer, or even massively multiplayer.

Funnily enough, I am actually well qualified to tell you about the infrastructures required to host multiplayer games. I work for a Japanese IT company who look after such infrastructures here in Europe. Infact, just today I was racking in some new servers for a company with the name beginning with S and ending with A. Even for non mmo games, multiplayer games have an incredible amount of considerations to host properly. Consider just these items first of all:-

- Network topology, security, load balancing.
- Authentication
- Application/Database Benchmarking
- LOTS OF TESTING

Your engineers would be spending their lifes looking at network packets and frames to make your games work. Youll need some guys and girls who can quote rfc's for a living working for you.

If you want an indication of the sort of work required to host such games. IBM actually have done some of the ground work and created a nice white paper on doing so - read here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ar-powerup1/

The advice the guys are giving you is, show us your current games your working on or have worked on and then maybe people might wanna join you on some projects. But its obvious to us, your not ready to delve into that, especially when asking those questions. As I said previously, best of luck, let us know what you get up to.
Sagan Interactive - Looking forward to a creative 2013.
spynaz
Party member

Post by spynaz »

Pash wrote:A socket in networking terms involves an IP and a port number (TCP or UDP), so yes, you need an IP to make luasocket to work. (if that was your question, sorry, it was worded poorly though)

Its true, if you use the webgl implementation of love2d and host the game on an publicly accessible web server, this will be playable by anybody in the world. However, as Robin and others have stated here, that doesnt make it multiplayer, or even massively multiplayer.

Funnily enough, I am actually well qualified to tell you about the infrastructures required to host multiplayer games. I work for a Japanese IT company who look after such infrastructures here in Europe. Infact, just today I was racking in some new servers for a company with the name beginning with S and ending with A. Even for non mmo games, multiplayer games have an incredible amount of considerations to host properly. Consider just these items first of all:-

- Network topology, security, load balancing.
- Authentication
- Application/Database Benchmarking
- LOTS OF TESTING

Your engineers would be spending their lifes looking at network packets and frames to make your games work. Youll need some guys and girls who can quote rfc's for a living working for you.

If you want an indication of the sort of work required to host such games. IBM actually have done some of the ground work and created a nice white paper on doing so - read here http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ar-powerup1/

The advice the guys are giving you is, show us your current games your working on or have worked on and then maybe people might wanna join you on some projects. But its obvious to us, your not ready to delve into that, especially when asking those questions. As I said previously, best of luck, let us know what you get up to.
Alright thanks.