LÖVEFEST IIII: Return of the Revenge of the Fest

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.

LÖVEFEST IIII VOTES

Yggdrasil TD (growing prototype)
50%
fishtank
50%

Total votes: 10

Stelpa
Citizen

Re: LÖVEFEST IIII: Return of the Revenge of the Fest

Post by Stelpa »

pakoskyfrog wrote:In my opinion, two weeks is fine because we don't need to submit finished projects.
What i intend to submit tonight is merely a prototype, won't be playable. My plan was to finish my game after, simply ^^

On the other hand, with two weeks more, i should be able to make a playable prototype (even an excruciatingly simple one).
Simple logic : with more time, you can work more...

But i camp on what i said, i still think two weeks is fine.
The problem isn't that the games won't be finished, it's that there won't be enough participants for an interesting/successful vote. It seems like the longer the deadline, the more time people will have to consider joining.

As a sidenote, I am very happy that you have worked on your submission, I was afraid I'd be the only one to submit :death:
timmeh42
Citizen

Post by timmeh42 »

Works submitted need not be full-fledged games; prototypes, toys, and experiments are very much welcome.
Maybe this should be more of a rule than a suggestion, to force people to not worry about intricate menu/scoring/stability systems - or even explicitly say "no scoring / menus" and "MUST INCLUDE BUGS OR EXPLOITS".

I haven't been on the forums in aaages, would have entered if I'd seen this topic earlier :/ (may still enter)
Stelpa
Citizen

Post by Stelpa »

I love that idea! Making LÖVEFEST based on rapid prototyping would be a good way to focus it and get other people to join it who wouldn't otherwise... I think I will probably change next fest's description to explain that further. However, requiring code to be buggy may be *a bit* much, but I'm sure that will be the result regardless xD

Also, at this point I am thinking that expanding the deadline another week won't hurt. We'll see if that's enough :)

The new deadline for submissions is 8:00:00 pm PST | Friday, March 1, 2013. The topic has been changed to reflect this, happy prototyping everyone :D
pakoskyfrog
Citizen

Post by pakoskyfrog »

Here is my entry :

Title: Yggdrasil TD (growing prototype)

Description: It is the basic framework for a future tower defense game. It contains object oriented elements, have a simple menu where you can only leave and launch the growing model a the tree.

Pitch :
The mighty Yggdrasil is the tree of everything, the bringer of life, the one passage to paradise and ... the source of eternal youth.
No wonder why, once its location discovered everyone wanted a piece...
You incarnate the spirit of the Yggdrasil tree, and you will control what grows where.
The tree begins small, with only a few spot to put fruits to defend yourself and will grow over time. You lose when the bark is no more and the foes can access to the core of the tree.

Username(s): Pakoskyfrog

Love Version : 0.8.0

Technical Notes, Controls and Help, Miscellaneous Notes:
You can move the camera by holding/moving the middle mouse button.
I used git to sinc my work : https://github.com/pakoskyfrog/YggdrasilTD
i attached to this entry the .love, the readme and towers.txt (only useful for the next development of the game)

Screens :
Image Early stage
Image Refined model
Image Better drawing A
Image Better drawing B (older)
Attachments
towers.txt
Ideas for the futures towers
(4.47 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
README.txt
The detailed description
(2.8 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
YggdrasilTD_proto1_pakoskyfrog.love
The prototype
(21.42 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
pakoskyfrog
Citizen

Post by pakoskyfrog »

Hahaha... very fun to expend the dead line while i'm posting my entry...
Well, if i can, i'll use this added week to make it sort of playable, or at least interactive.
Stelpa
Citizen

Post by Stelpa »

Wow, VERY cool, and great concept!!! It goes with the theme very well IMO :) Sorry for the unexpected extension, but personally I can't wait to see what you can do to it in the next week :awesome:

Just to clarify in case anyone thought otherwise, you may update/revise/alter submission as much as you want, until the submission time is up. The submissions will be voted on as-is at the time of the voting period's beginning.

I won't be submitting my project until later, it still needs quite a bit of work before it will be semi-interesting :p

Again, great and ambitious work so far, keep it up! ^^
Stelpa
Citizen

Post by Stelpa »

" this very small fish trying to chase me. I don't know why... I don't know too much about fish behavior..." -- Black Francis

Title:

fishtank

Description:

Welp, this is embarrassing!

My submission is... not even near complete. In fact, it is hardly a prototype, but perhaps I can flesh it out someday. It is a teeny little aquarium simulator, where little triangular fishies swim/bounce around and eat/breed. That's, uh, that's pretty much it at this point, lol. Maybe at some point I could add more abstract shape species (jellyfish, plankton, and bottomfeeders would be neat) and give it WAY more user interaction (a la 'feeding frenzy'?)

Username(s):

Stelpa

Love Version, Technical Notes, Controls and Help, Miscellaneous Notes:

Vanilla, V 0.8.0. It's the attatched .love file, huzzah! Press space to spawn a school of 10 lil fishies. Don't spam it too much, fishies eat up memory just like they eat up other fishies :P Also of note is that each fish has their own individual growth limit, which keeps them from becoming the colossal Megafish/Cthulhu :ultrashocked:

Anyways, I hope it at least amused you for a few seconds, I think the fishies are pretty cute myself, hehe :3
Attachments
fishtank.love
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Stelpa
Citizen

Post by Stelpa »

Hey! I was waiting a bit more to see if a few submissions were just taking a little extra, but I guess this is it, another fest with only two submissions, bleh >.<

I'd be alright with waiting longer if anyone else is interested in submitting, or if pakoskyfrog is still going to update their submission, so if so, let me know please :)
Stelpa
Citizen

Post by Stelpa »

*poke*

If I don't hear anything soon I will start the voting...
pakoskyfrog
Citizen

Post by pakoskyfrog »

Hellö !

I will leave my entry as is.
I've encounter a major conception issue to continue the development of my game and i have to rethink entirely the growing model. One of the problem is... "Where the hell can i put my 'towers' with all these overlapping ???"

Looking forward the next Lövefest !