Level editor using SVG files

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
FREEZX
Prole

Level editor using SVG files

Post by FREEZX »

So i had this idea about making a unified level editor that should more or less satisfy most level designers and programmers altogether.
I started the project which is currently in a very early phase of development.
I was thinking about how object scripting would work and settled with a model similar to the unity engine. Currently each object can have update, onload and onclick functions.
As for the objects themselves, currently only rectangles, images and groups are supported.
n8dZ01L.png
n8dZ01L.png (121.1 KiB) Viewed 332 times
You can check out the project on bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/FREEZX/l-ve2d-svg-level-editor

Tell me what you guys think.
FREEZX
Prole

Re: Level editor using SVG files

Post by FREEZX »

reserved
monsieur_h
Citizen

Post by monsieur_h »

Didn't know that svg files were in xml. Your idea is really interesting, I recently tried to have a good idea for a level editor, but did not find any.
I'll follow your progress closely. Do you intend to share the code eventually?

Also, in my opinion, this thread belongs to Project and Demos.
Xgoff
Party member

Post by Xgoff »

interesting. how much of svg are you planning to implement? months ago i considered writing a lib that would "compile" an svg document into a sequence of love.graphics functions... i thought svg tiny would be a good starting point until i realized the spec was over 400 pages lol
FREEZX
Prole

Post by FREEZX »

The code is already available on bitbucket:
https://bitbucket.org/FREEZX/l-ve2d-svg-level-editor

I was thinking about implementing circles, polygons, and maybe arcs since that would cover most of the needed shapes. I do realise that there is a lot to SVG, so i'm not going to implement the whole thing. I think the Corona SDK also uses SVG files for levels.

What i'm trying to do is keep it flexible enough so you can do most things with it. Right now you can write onupdate, onload and onclick Lua code within the objects in the SVG file. Please do check the code as well as the example levels (Not much to them, but it is a proof of concept). If you have ever used Unity3d, the scripting should have a similar concept.