Hi! Need graph library.

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Beta Carotene
Prole

Hi! Need graph library.

Post by Beta Carotene »

Hey guys! Been lurking on here for a while, but this will be my first post. I'm actually not specifically using LOVE, but I've been finding many of the libraries here very helpful (to the authors of 'inspect' and 'serialize', I use those constantly). I've also been scouting around and experimentation with Lua learning neat little tricks, so Ill definitely be posting those here to share them.

What I am looking for is a semi-generic graph class written in pure lua. I will be switching to luaJIT later on and it will be more beneficial to stick to pure lua code rather than jumping back and fourth between C. On that note, I found LuaGraph, but it's a C-based library and it seems like SERIOUS overkill for what I'm doing.

I could write one myself, but my time lately is kind of short and I'd rather reinvent the wheel as little as possible =/

Thanks in advance!

PS: I will rig up a proper avatar when I get a chance, love the OBEY thing lol
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Re: Hi! Need graph library.

Post by MarekkPie »

When you mean graph, do you mean a graph data structure, or a graphical representation of some data (pie charts, etc.)?
Beta Carotene
Prole

Post by Beta Carotene »

Graph data structure, yes, nodes, edges, ect. It would be nice if they came equipped with some algorithms such as Dijkstras, max flow, ect
MarekkPie
Inner party member

Post by MarekkPie »

I don't know of any generic graph data structure libraries, but for specific things, such as A*, there are plenty of options.

Jumper might be your best bet. I haven't tested it myself, but it implements A*+Jump Point Search, which should drastically increase the speed.

LoveAStar is my A* implementation. I made it after like...3 months since first ever coded...so it could probably be a bit better.

I know mine doesn't, and I am not certain Jumper does either, use any concurrency to keep it from being non-blocking, but I know mine takes a minuscule amount of time to complete a calculation on a static map.

For anything more robust, you might have to implement it yourself.
Beta Carotene
Prole

Post by Beta Carotene »

Thanks so much, I'll look into these ^_^