What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Larsii30
Party member

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Larsii30 »

@ monsieur_h
This could get pretty good. The menu is nice, everything looks very smooth.
I've never played a plant simulation game, so my first thought was "how is he going to make this fun ?" . :)
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

@monsieur_h: That looks awesome!
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

It's very good for a first project! If you need an Italian translation (from English, or German if my mother is in a good mood) ask me ;)
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
monsieur_h
Citizen

Post by monsieur_h »

Larsii30 wrote:@ monsieur_h
my first thought was "how is he going to make this fun ?" . :)
That's all the challenge ! My bet is we can have fun out of boring things. To be honest I have no idea how I'll achieve this yet :)
Nixola wrote:It's very good for a first project! If you need an Italian translation (from English, or German if my mother is in a good mood) ask me ;)
Thank you for your offer. I intend to set up a wiki somewhere and let people edit translation files at some point. That's not sooner than in a few month thought. I'll let you know about it.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Some neat stuff going, I like the menus for the plant game.

I've been making progress on my multiplayer turn-based rpg.
Screen shot 2012-12-20 at 17.03.02.png
Screen shot 2012-12-20 at 17.03.02.png (192.96 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Decided to post an update on my 3D Star Fox style space-ish shooter type game thingy project. In animated GIF form!

It's a little slow, but it shows the game in action. Soon I want to get an official topic up with a real video showing it off. For now this is an appetizer? Maybe?

Today I implemented a level loading system. All graphics and models are placeholders. The final game will not be related to Star Fox. I hope to have all my own custom made models including the player ship.

Lots of plans for implementation including both land and sea-based vehicles. I hope the project can be an homage to Star Fox rather than a clone of it.

Enjoy!
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Jasoco wrote:Decided to post an update on my 3D Star Fox style space-ish shooter type game thingy project. In animated GIF form!
2013 is going to be awesome year :awesome:
How "playable" is it, actually ? (In terms of framerate, I mean). Not laggy, hopefully ?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

No lag. I get a constant 60FPS because for some reason my computer is stuck on VSync even if I have it off. (Need to look into why) I haven't been able to get a full framerate in forever. But it stays at 60FPS most of the time. A well designed level and enemy model will do wonders.

And I'm working on deciding on a final viewing distance. Right now it's set at 10,000 units away and runs fine. But the original game had a very close draw distance where things popped into frame when only a few hundred meters away and your lasers only flew for about a second until they disappeared.

I also need to work on controls. My old clone was pretty perfect in the control department. I need to bring that code over to this one.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Jasoco wrote:No lag. I get a constant 60FPS because for some reason my computer is stuck on VSync even if I have it off. (Need to look into why) I haven't been able to get a full framerate in forever. But it stays at 60FPS most of the time. A well designed level and enemy model will do wonders.
Awesome.
Jasoco wrote: And I'm working on deciding on a final viewing distance. Right now it's set at 10,000 units away and runs fine. But the original game had a very close draw distance where things popped into frame when only a few hundred meters away and your lasers only flew for about a second until they disappeared.
Well, maybe you should leave this as a configurable option, to the player ?
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:
Jasoco wrote: And I'm working on deciding on a final viewing distance. Right now it's set at 10,000 units away and runs fine. But the original game had a very close draw distance where things popped into frame when only a few hundred meters away and your lasers only flew for about a second until they disappeared.
Well, maybe you should leave this as a configurable option, to the player ?
I want to. But also I don't want the bullets being able to fly forever. I don't want you seeing an enemy a mile ahead and shooting a laser and hitting him a mile away. There needs to be some sort of fake limit there. Right now lasers only have a lifespan of 1 second. So if you're shooting directly at an enemy, it won't actually hit until your close enough. This might seem frustrating to the player.

I need to do more playing around. See how Star Fox 64 did it since it had a larger render distance.