Animation and Networking Name Change

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Triplenox
Prole

Animation and Networking Name Change

Post by Triplenox »

Last edited by Triplenox on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: Animation and Networking Name Change

Post by kikito »

AnAL is not the only animation system available. You know, that, right? :( right? :cry:

(I'm talking about anim8, my lib. It's quite awesome)

Regarding the issue at hand: if I had created them, I would have named those libs differently. But I think naming the original thing is it's author's prerogative and their birthright. If anyone doesn't like the names, they can fork the libs and rename the files and tables however they want. Most libs licenses allow for that.

Making a poll about another people's rights is kind of a dangerous terrain to be. Think about what you'd feel about a poll asking "Should women be allowed to show their faces in public? Yes/No" or "Should black people be allowed to vote? Yes/No".

This poll is a bit like that. On a much smaller scale, for sure. But there you go.
When I write def I mean function.
Triplenox
Prole

Post by Triplenox »

Last edited by Triplenox on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dattorz
Citizen

Post by Dattorz »

There's more where that came from. There's also HUMP, Gspot, and HardonCollider, to name a few. Keep in mind that these are unofficial, user-created helper libraries. If you don't like the names you're free to use different libraries or simply roll your own. I don't use them, but that's simply because I prefer to do these kinds of things myself.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Yeah, LÖVE has this rather awkward trend in library names. It doesn't cause any problems for me though, like Dattorz, I tend to do these things myself.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

I don't understand how the name of a lib has anything to do with the use of it. You could argue stuff about naming conventions and SEO, but when it comes to practical usage of the code the name is irrelevant.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.