Platformy - 26/09/12

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Re: Platformy - A platformer engine.

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Thanks kikito. I've seen it.
The article was published @Gamedev.net, last month.
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

I found a bug:

if you stand on the ramp at just the right place, then jump, you can stand just above the ramp. i have attached a screenshot.

sorry if i was to vague, but it is hard to describe.
Attachments
bug.png
bug.png (49.7 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

It's all cool, I already know about this bug, but thanks for taking the time to post it here. I do intend to fix this as soon as I've discerned the cause, which I suspect is related to the heightMap handling. This thing is littered with small glitches, I'll post an updated version soon (or you coud just pull the repo) so you can have fun finding them :P Also, there's now things to shoot.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Platformy - 28/08/12

Post by Lafolie »

Bumpety bump, there's a new version of the game available. I added smoothed-out scrolling (cheers bart!), shooting, proof-of-concept AI and fixed everything you guys have mentioned so far.

The AI is interesting because it isn't fixed. Although the script I wrote to handle them is pretty basic and yields these... weird results, what's actually happening is that the SA-X clones are running around the map and evaluating their own state to detect terrain. This means that they are navigating the map independently, without waypoints. Whilst they can't be directed to a specific point at the moment they can nevertheless be made to behave in distinct ways to create different AI profiles, and with some small changes they could probably be made to reach simple goals/targets, such as a waypoint or the player.

The 'enemies' don't fire back yet, I just wanted something to test the power beam out on. Have fun.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Lafolie
Inner party member

Re: Platformy - 03/09/12

Post by Lafolie »

There's a new version with some fancy stuff, an update list and download are in the first post. Enjoy guys.
azonicrider
Prole

Post by azonicrider »

Nice, the animations are great.
dreadkillz
Party member

Post by dreadkillz »

New version looks nice with the new sprites. I'd be mighty impressed if you could implement sloped/curved surfaces.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

It's looking amazing.
One thing "." and "/" for keys?
You didn't remember that could end in weird places (and also need key combinations) in some foreign keyboards didn't you? Glad to have alternate keys! :)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

@azonicrider I didn't make them, but I wrote the stuff that displays them. Thanks!

@dreadkillz I don't know how long you played the demo for, or even whether you looked at the screenshots or code, but ramp tiles are featured in all of these, including the latest .love file. There are no 'curved' ramps just yet, but there is capacity for them (e.g. making a heightMap table and tile graphic); the current ramps work on a y=x basis.

@coffee Thank you, and yeah, I've never even seen a non-English keyboard. I'm using these because I have no idea what the keyboard keys should be as I usually use a pad for platformers. Regardless, these will be changeable at some point.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

The strange thing is that in the italian keyboard I have to press - instead of /. / is Shift+7, and - is... -, I think it's in the same position as / in the english keyboard
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics